New Member, considering scratch build.

New Member, considering scratch build.

Postby MetalBasher388 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 pm

New guy here. I've been around this grass roots aviation stuff for over 20 years. I got very lucky as a young teen and met a newly retired couple that took me under their wing, got me flying in champs and was working on my ultralight permit (14 years old working to pay my way). Then one day I got a ride in an RV4... And that was the end of my ultralight flying. Haven't flown since, low and slow turned out to not be my thing. I've always wanted to build my own plane and take it to that grass strip where I started.

I have always been a gearhead, sleds, bikes, short track cars, Ive built and raced em. I have an LS1 restored 87 T/A Ive built and learned wiring on. And after my first 8 years as a medic in the Canadian Army, I'm now an aircraft structures tech in the RCAF. In my trade we sort of do everything. Painting, composites, textiles, metal fabrication, welding (tig, oxy, mig), machining etc... So I sort of build a bit every day at work.

So, why the Sonex? Honestly, while I might be able to afford to build an RV, the idea of burning that much 100ll isnt good for the wallet. I would love to build a Sonerai, but I have no interest flying from the rear and it is not much of a 2 person airplane for an out of town weekend.
So, Sonex it is.
If I were to buy a kit, Im looking at over $30g CAD... just the kit. Buying someone elses build holds very little interest to me for a multitude of reasons. Build quality, and wanting my own custom touches are the 2 biggest reasons.
So, considering the fact I have a pretty good baseline skill set, access to a shop full of equipment and the prohibitive cost of a kit, I believe a scratch build is the way to go for me.

I have a bunch of projects to do around the house this summer, and my garage needs a tear down and rebuild next year, so my plan is to buy a set of plans this fall and start making all of my smaller parts. Ribs, all the machined angle components etc and once my garage is good, start assembling. I can have the airfame built for approx $5500, and will need a few things from sonex like spar caps, gear legs etc.

This site is great, has answered lots of questions but I know I will have lots in the future.
MetalBasher388

Re: New Member, considering scratch build.

Postby Rofomoto » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Exactly how I’m doing it. Started two years ago, just the punch list to go. Go for it!!
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby WesRagle » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:50 pm

HI ?????,

Given your intro, I think you have picked the perfect project. Something I've often thought, but now I think I'll "say it out loud": The original Sonex plans are the result of a work of passion. John M. and Pete B., two very capable individuals with complementary skills and a shared love of sports aviation, achieved something with the Sonex design (and plans) that I don't think we are likely to see again. They designed a truly versatile and capable aircraft that could be plans built by mere mortals.

Going back to the beginning, back to when the design was unveiled in Sports Aviation, I get the impression that John and Pete had no idea how wide the appeal of their creation would be. Since you have been around home built aircraft a while you've probably read comments from "fans" of a particular design bragging about the quality of the plans. Well, they wouldn't be bragging if they had seen the Sonex plans.

Once you understand how the plans are organized it's a snap to find answers to any question you might have. You might have question regarding fabrication, but that's about it. The plans are 100+ pages of very detailed prints. I found the best way to study the plans was to start at the last page and work backwards to page #1. When you get to page #1 you have a completed airplane.

I built from a kit before the machined angle components were available so I did get some experience "whittling" aluminum. I started the build by making all of the angle parts. No machinist skills here, just drill cut and polish. There used to be a spread sheet available that listed every angle part and the material is was made from. I don't know if it is still available. If so, it would be a help getting started.

Best of Luck,

Wes
Last edited by WesRagle on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby MetalBasher388 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:04 pm

Rofomoto wrote:Exactly how I’m doing it. Started two years ago, just the punch list to go. Go for it!!

I just read every single page of your build. Convinced me I could do it.
MetalBasher388

Postby MetalBasher388 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 pm

WesRagle wrote:HI ?????,

Given your intro, I think you have picked the perfect project. Something I've often thought, but now I think I'll "say it out loud": The original Sonex plans are the result of a work of passion. John M. and Pete B., two very capable individuals, with complementary skills and a shared love of sports aviation, achieved something with the Sonex design (and plans) that I don't think we are likely to see again. They designed a truly versatile and capable aircraft that could be plans built.

Going back to the beginning, back to when the design was unveiled in Sports Aviation, I get the impression that John and Pete had no idea how wide the appeal of their creation would be. Since you have been around home built aircraft a while you've probably read comments from "fans" of a particular design bragging about the quality of the plans. Well, they wouldn't be bragging if they had seen the Sonex plans.

Once you understand how the plans are organized it's a snap to find answers to any question you might have. You might have question regarding fabrication, but that's about it. The plans are 100+ pages of very detailed prints. I found the best way to study the plans was to start at the last page and work backwards to page #1. When you get to page #1 you have a completed airplane.

I built from a kit before the machined angle components were available so I did get some experience "whittling" aluminum. I started the build by making all of the angle parts. No machinist skills here, just drill cut and polish. There used to be a spread sheet available that listed every angle part and the material is was made from. I don't know if it is still available. If so, it would be a help getting started.

Best of Luck,

Wes

That list is on the Sonex website somewhere, shows what parts to cut from what material and the layout for it to minimize scrap.
I essentially hope to have built my own kit essentially and then assemble... Winter here sucks and my garage is very drafty. Hence part of the reason for a new garage first.

Luckily I get to decipher blueprints all the time for the Bell 412s I work on so I have some experience there too. But yes, the support from Sonex is a big part of choosing this ship as well.
MetalBasher388

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:39 pm

Welcome to the forums! You can definitely scratch build if you are a true nut job. I'm a reformed scratch builder who temporarily shifted to a kit for the sake of building with my then 11, now 18 year old.

Side note: the best compliment I ever got was on another project, from another scratch builder. He called me a real nut. He was right!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rofomoto » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:45 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Welcome to the forums! You can definitely scratch build if you are a true nut job. I'm a reformed scratch builder who temporarily shifted to a kit for the sake of building with my then 11, now 18 year old.

Side note: the best compliment I ever got was on another project, from another scratch builder. He called me a real nut. He was right!

Lol “ a true nut job?” More like a real homebuilder. No offense kit builders. Pick your poison just do it.
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby WesRagle » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:21 pm

Hey Billy,

Rofomoto wrote:Lol “ a true nut job?”

Well, yea...

Exhibit A: "Eagles (next year 16- 0)"

I'll just stop there. No Exhibit B needed ;-)

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:28 pm

Rofomoto wrote:
Bryan Cotton wrote:Welcome to the forums! You can definitely scratch build if you are a true nut job. I'm a reformed scratch builder who temporarily shifted to a kit for the sake of building with my then 11, now 18 year old.

Lol “ a true nut job?” More like a real homebuilder. No offense kit builders. Pick your poison just do it.

Billy,
I admire your project, workmanship, and drive. You are a real nut!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:30 pm

First of all, please tell us your name! :-)

I scratch built. 2009-2014. 5 years, 3 months, 2,360 hrs.

I had started a business and didn't have the money to buy a kit. I bought the plans, then some aluminum locally. I did nothing but make parts for a year. No two parts were joined in that time; just parts.

What I bought:
- Fiberglass parts
- Welded parts (engine mount, rudder pedals, pushrods, etc)
- Canopy
- Spar caps
- Fuel tank

Other than that, I pretty much made everything. I built a 10' bending brake so I could bend even the longest channels. I have never, ever regretted a moment of the time I spent.

I was going to do the welding, but once I took some lessons I realized how much of a skill and an art welding was, and I didn't have the time or desire to get that good at it.

I spent a total of $28,000 for the airframe, AeroVee, avionics and hardware. Others who are good scroungers have spent less. But don't fool yourself. Whatever you think you'll spend, it will certainly be a good bit more. It just will.

If you are going with the AeroVee, BUILD LIGHT! No creature comfort or doo-dad is worth the weight penalty. I went polished to save the 20-25 lbs of paint (though modern "wraps" are a good option). Mine weighed in at 653 lbs, and I still have to be very weight conscious in the warmer months. If you are going with more than 80 hp then you have a little more leeway.

My Kitlog site is: http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith

And videos of my construction phases are at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phSN6vC0ee4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZyJPbEons&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hACpJ2mQHIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ZnuyszgLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOp9UugkzC0

BEST OF LUCK! Let us know how we can help, and we will!
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Next

Return to Introductions