New member from Southern Utah/Las Vegas

New member from Southern Utah/Las Vegas

Postby vegaspassat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Derek and I should be picking up my first ever airplane on the 20th of this month. It's a waiex that needs just a little work to get it flying again. My wife and I will be loading it up in a uhaul from Washington and bringing it back to Cedar CIty, Utah. I'm really excited about picking up this little plane! It has a revmaster 2300 installed that still needs to be wired up, but the rest of the plane is pretty much fully built. I've already done quite a bit of reading here on this site and am really looking forward to taking advantage of the extremely active forums. Can anyone comment on how the revmaster/sonex combo handles high density altitudes? It's not uncommon to see DA of 8000 feet at KCDC in the summer, and I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a spring/fall flyer.
vegaspassat

Re: New member from Southern Utah/Las Vegas

Postby Rynoth » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi Derek, Welcome!
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Very cool Derek! Post some pics!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Matt541 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:33 am

Welcome Derek! Nice to see another project buyer join the group. And a Revmaster to boot, nice!

I have yet to fly mine, but a DA that high will be hard to come by in the NE. I haven't looked into it yet, but the Revmaster manual does mention a turbo kit. That may be worth checking out for ya. My understanding is that they've had the turbo available since at least the 2100.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby vegaspassat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I tried reaching out to Sonex and they weren't able to tell me anything about how it might perform. My logic being the revmaster and the aerovee are somewhat close in weight and very close in horsepower, so the high DA performance should be at least similar. But Kerry wasn't able to tell me anything at all about what to expect, even if it had an aerovee in it. I will definitely post pics when I go pic up the plane next week. Should I continue this thread with those pics, or should I start a thread in the general discussion forum?
vegaspassat

Return to Introductions