New owner of Sonex 804

New owner of Sonex 804

Postby paddydix » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:16 pm

Hi everyone ! Purchased Sonex 804 and trying to get her ready to bring home. I live in Moscow, TN , and the airplane is currently in Gilbert, SC. Insurance is going to require 10 hours of CFI time. Wanting to get a new weight and balance , I don't have a Sonex POH yet and was curious as to proper way to do one on the Sonex. I can't wait to fly this bird ! Thanks for the help in advance.
Patrick Dixon
paddydix

Re: New owner of Sonex 804

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:44 pm

You can purchase a "blank" pro-forma "Sonex Flight Manual Part SNX-B06, Rev B11/04" from Sonex which will give you some ideas. But there are a lot of "blanks" that should be filled in by the Builder during Phase 1 to get anything meaningful for speeds and performance numbers.

There should be an original W&B somewhere for that particular aircraft too. Ask the Builder for a copy.

And congrats on your purchase!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby paddydix » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Thanks , dreadfully the previous owner is deceased, and family didn't know where he kept a lot of info. W/B was not in aircraft. I don't know if the original builder is still around.
paddydix

Postby Matt541 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Welcome! Must be a good time to buy a Sonex or something...

Exactly what Graeme said on the POH. Mine came with one, but not the plans...

FWIW, they do fit in a U-Haul. Or on a car hauler. Pretty easy process to remove the wings. I only mention this as it may be easier to get all the regulatory/ safety stuff done closer to home.

downsizeduhaul.jpg
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Rynoth » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Welcome!

You may find yourself in a big of regulatory no-mans-land with your new purchase. Without the standard required documents on board it may not be technically legal for the plane to fly, and navigating the regs to get the plane airworthy can be complicated. All that to say, many here will be happy to help/offer suggestions on where to find the information you need, but ultimately getting all of the proper documentation up-to-date will be up to you. I'm sorry if this statement isn't helpful, it's just that it's complicated and I don't think anyone wants to tell you to do anything that's out of regulations.

I'm still working on creating a POH for my plane in Phase 1 testing. The generic Sonex POH is a good starting point, and I've found the EAA Flight Test Manual to be very helpful in creating my own custom POH. https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/about-eaa/ea ... -COMMUNITY

Other builders have also shared their POH which can be a useful resource in creating your own, Jeff Shultz's being the first to come to mind http://www.sonex604.com/
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby badaero » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 am

I recently purchased Sonex 882, and have been flying with Ron Dillard(Advanced Tailwheel Training) in Lebanon(M54) in his 150 hp Citabra to get me ready while getting the plane ready. What insurance agency and what coverage are you seeking, I haven't started looking yet.
Bruce
Bruce Drinnen
M'boro,TN
720SX
"Money can't buy happiness but it can buy airplanes and bacon!"
badaero

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:54 am

paddydix wrote:Hi everyone ! Purchased Sonex 804 and trying to get her ready to bring home. I live in Moscow, TN , and the airplane is currently in Gilbert, SC. Insurance is going to require 10 hours of CFI time. Wanting to get a new weight and balance , I don't have a Sonex POH yet and was curious as to proper way to do one on the Sonex. I can't wait to fly this bird ! Thanks for the help in advance.
Patrick Dixon

When my Sonex planes were inspected the DAR sent a copy of the weight & balance to our local FSDO. Not sure what they did with it, or if they kept a copy. You might want to check with the FSDO nearest to the orginal builder. Just a thought.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Rynoth » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:59 am

XenosN42 wrote:When my Sonex planes were inspected the DAR sent a copy of the weight & balance to our local FSDO. Not sure what they did with it, or if they kept a copy. You might want to check with the FSDO nearest to the orginal builder. Just a thought.

That's actually a really good point... when my DAR inspected my plane, he actually wanted/kept copies of my W/B and full builder log. If you can find out who the DAR was, it's possible they have some information that's helpful. Their name should be on the airworthiness certificate.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Gripdana » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:41 am

Don't forget about the operating limitations that were issued at the time of inspection. I have a copy of mine in the plane with the airworthiness certificate.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby fastj22 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:02 pm

Gripdana wrote:Don't forget about the operating limitations that were issued at the time of inspection. I have a copy of mine in the plane with the airworthiness certificate.

My DAR did not keep a copy of the operating limitations or W/B to send to the FSDO that I'm aware of so I don't know if they have copy. If you don't have them, you may need to contact the FSDO to get guidance on replacing them. The W/B should be easy to recreate but since you don't have the repairman's certificate, you may need an A&P to sign it off along with of course a condition inspection. But them operating limitations? Hmmm.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Next

Return to Introductions