Howdy from Western PA

Howdy from Western PA

Postby Spark6 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Hey there!

I'm a prospective addition to the Sonex tribe, checking in from just outside Pittsburgh. I'm an Airbus driver by day, and am in desperate need of a way to get my airplane fix in something that doesn't run my control inputs through a computer! Mostly, I'd like to be able to flip the horizon around on pretty days, but of course, I've got to check some other boxes too, and the Sonex seems like it might be the happy middle ground. The big question is whether or not, at a long-torsoed 6' 1", I fit... Is there anyone in the Western PA/Eastern OH area who would be willing to let me have a peek at their airplane or project? I'm also in the CT/NYC area a fair bit as I'm based out there for work. I'd love to chat airplanes!
- Barrett
Prospective Sonex Driver
Spark6

Re: Howdy from Western PA

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:04 am

My Sonex has the lowered seat which the builder fitted because he was long torso at around 6'2". He seemed to fit OK. I'm based at KUUU - in RI - but drift west into CT/NY a lot of the time. Work for myself so mid-week/funny hours can work to meet up for lunch or whatever. Give me a holler by PM and let's see if we can set something up. THIS Thu is my hoped for "fly day" in the week as the weather looks good. If you are out of Bradley - maybe a rendezvous at the Signature FBO / NEAA.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Matt541 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am

Well, howdy from Eastern PA!

My center stick Sonex is currently in the garage with the wings off, but you're welcome to stop by on your way to NYC. PM me.

Definitely check out Graeme's when you get up there for a very nice flying example. (From the pics I've seen.)

I first looked at a dual stick Waiex in NY, the owner was 6' 2" average build and didn't have any problems fitting. Would occasionally fly with his wife. I'm under 6' and stocky and width wise we didn't fit in together too well. I had to put my arm around him...

Looked at a bunch of different aircraft and came back to the Sonex after focusing in on what my current mission is.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:18 am

Spark6 wrote:Hey there!

I'm a prospective addition to the Sonex tribe, checking in from just outside Pittsburgh. I'm an Airbus driver by day, and am in desperate need of a way to get my airplane fix in something that doesn't run my control inputs through a computer! Mostly, I'd like to be able to flip the horizon around on pretty days, but of course, I've got to check some other boxes too, and the Sonex seems like it might be the happy middle ground. The big question is whether or not, at a long-torsoed 6' 1", I fit... Is there anyone in the Western PA/Eastern OH area who would be willing to let me have a peek at their airplane or project? I'm also in the CT/NYC area a fair bit as I'm based out there for work. I'd love to chat airplanes!

Michael here in far eastern PA, on the border of NJ.

You forgot to mention your name. There is a way to automatically add a signature to each post you make. Look for it in the user settings on the site.

I'm currently flying a OneX. I'm 6'0" tall and I fit easily. In fact I use a 4" thick seat cushion to gain a better view over the glareshield and I still have plenty of headroom.

I hanger my plane at 1N7 Blairstown.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Spark6 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:50 pm

Wow, thanks for the replies!

Michael, I appreciate the tip - signature created! The OneX is intriguing, especially with the folding wings, but one of the compromises in this whole game for me is being able to take my bride up occasionally, so the need to fit an extra butt precludes a one-holer for the time being.

Graeme, I may well take you up on that - it might be a few weeks before I'm able to get out that way, but I'll drop you a PM as my schedule gets a little clearer.

Matt, that's really helpful to know. I'll drop you a line when I'm next out that way. I typically commute by air, but every once in a while that option doesn't work, and it's the long drive east for me...
- Barrett
Prospective Sonex Driver
Spark6

Return to Introductions