New Owner: Sonex 1083 Build...

New Owner: Sonex 1083 Build...

Postby Blank » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello All,

I've been a lurker the past couple of years and finally took the plunge and purchased kit# 1083. I'm the third and hopefully final owner/builder. The first owner "built" the tail and control surfaces. The second owner built the fuselage, wings, and assembled and mounted the Aerovee 2.0. Now the FUN begins. I've been pouring over every detail this last week.

Thoughts so far (from a novice):

1. The vertical and horizontal stab may be inadequately built--flush rivets were used and the dimpling leaves a lot to be desired. Also, there were multiple misaligned holes drilled on the vertical stab main spar aft strap and lower spar channel.

2. Not sure what's inside the horizontal stab, see item one above.

3. Fuselage/wings look to be straight and very well built.

Regarding items 1 and 2 above, I'm probably going to order a new tail kit...at least I can say I built something from the airplane and that will give me confidence moving forward with finishing.

A few questions:

1. What's the difference between Aerovee 2.0 and 2.1?

2. Can the 2.0 be modified with the Great Planes Force One Hub?

3. Purchase came with a ROTEC TBI-34. Any thoughts on how to add carb heat?

4. I'm based in UT at 4600' MSL. Is 80 HP going to be enough to carry a passenger, or should I sell the Aerovee 2.0/mount and go a different route?

5. Too many other questions right now.

A little about me: I've been flying for the last 20 years at an airline and am seriously missing the fun of flying which is why I decided to get back into GA, the experimental route. Anyway, just a short hello and can't wait to get started with the project and getting to know fellow Sonex enthusiasts!

Craig
Blank

Re: New Owner: Sonex 1083 Build...

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Hello Craig,

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on the purchase of your kit. It's always very exciting to hear of an older kit that gets purchased with the hopes that it will soon be finished. I'm also excited to hear of a professional pilot on here; I know you're not the only one who burns Jet A during the day and 100LL on the weekends! I think the Sonex is an excellent choice as an efficient, fun to fly little airplane that you'll have a lot of fun with as you get it up and flying.

As for your questions...these are just my opinions so take them for what they're worth....

- It sounds like your best bet is to simply purchase a new tail kit and get working on it. If you see a lot of serious issues already, you'll feel a lot better and I wouldn't want to be worried about it every flight you take. You can drill off the skins and see how the frame looks, but if the original builder didn't do a very good job, I would just want to replace it (especially given the small investment of money and time it will take to build a new tail). I'm glad the rest of the build looks good!

- As far as I know, the differences between the AeroVee 2.0 and 2.1 is a slightly more robust crankshaft, and the alternator output goes from 10 amps to 20 amps. The vast majority of the engine is identical and if you really want to tear it apart, install a new crankshaft, and replace the parts needed to give yourself the 20 amp alternator output, go for it. A lot of people have and it's no big deal. I do believe there are several VW shops that can take an AeroVee case and machine it to accept a Great Planes Force One hub. Several people on here have done that modification so hopefully they chime in with where they had that machining done.

- There should be a page in your plans that show how to fabricate an exhaust shroud should you decide you want to add carb heat. From what I remember, I believe the Rotec TBI requires an aux fuel pump, but I don't know if carb heat is necessary. That will be your call!

- As for AeroVee performance; given your field altitude, as much as I hate to say it, I would say the non-turbo AeroVee will probably lack the power you want if you want to carry a passenger. Several Sonex owners have based their VW powered airplanes at higher elevations, and I think pretty much everyone agrees that in that condition, it's a single place airplane. You could either rebuild your AeroVee as a 2.1 and install the turbo kit onto it, or consider a different engine. If you carry passengers on a regular basis, I'd say the more power you can stuff under the cowling, the better!

Again, all of these comments are just my two cents...take them for what they're worth!

Welcome to the forums and let us know what other questions you have!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi Craig!

Welcome to the Sonex community!

You’ll get lots of input - I will just toss in my two cents (worth far less).

4. I'm based in UT at 4600' MSL. Is 80 HP going to be enough to carry a passenger, or should I sell the Aerovee 2.0/mount and go a different route?

Since you are early in the process, I’d go with a different route. You’ll find lots of opinions on the subject, and this is just mine.

I had the turbo AeroVee, then removed the turbo. That left me with the normally aspirated AeroVee - and I replaced it last winter with a Generation 4 Jabiru 3300.

I finally feel like the airplane has the power plant that makes it what I want. Previously I never felt comfortable carrying passengers. Now I do.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby WesRagle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:24 pm

Hey Craig,

Welcome! Welcome!

I think you are right on track with buying a new tail kit. I am a third hand owner of Onex #89 kit. The only thing that had been built on my kit was the tail. Like you, I saw evidence of questionable workmanship so I just bit the bullet, bought a new tail kit, and moved on.

I built Sonex #664 with an AeroVee back in 2006. I had a blast flying that airplane solo. However, I scared myself more than once on a hot day with two up (full sized folks), and I'm only at about 1000' msl. I've often thought that if I had built the Sonex with a Jab 3300 I would still have it.

Anyway, I agree with Mike and Robbie, If you can swing it, go for more power. If you go with the 120 HP Jab (or similarly powered engine) you can tailor your build for just about any mission you want. The only thing you can't do is make the airplane bigger :-)

Best of Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Blank » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:18 am

Thanks Gents for your thoughts. I’m definitely putting a lot of thought into a more powerful engine. I’ll will most assuredly be seeking input from those much more experienced with building in the near future.
Blank

Postby DCASonex » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 am

More power makes for more fun. The new Gen 4 Jabiru seems to be getting good reviews so far and customer support seems to be better than in the dark days of the past. If thinking of going that route, sign on to the Yahoo Jabiru/CAMit forum. Some very knowledgeable and experienced folks can be found there.

David A. Sonex TD, CAMit 3300.
DCASonex

Postby Blank » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:36 pm

Quick update: I've decided to sell the AeroVee. The propeller is already sold. I just ordered a new tail kit! Can't wait to get it going.

Craig
Blank

Postby Blank » Sun May 31, 2020 4:31 pm

Hello all. It's been a while since I've posted. The Aerovee is sold and I found a "new" gen 2 Jabiru 3300. I have completed the assembly of the new tail kit and am trying to get it mounted the the airframe--taking my time trimming the horizontal stab skin to fit the fuselage. Also, the old tail was previously mounted so there are holes already in the stringers. This complicates things a bit. I'm going to have to drill up through the stringers to match the holes. Good news though, the previous builder only clecoed the bottom fuselage skin in place so it can be removed. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, it appears there is a tiny space between the stringers on the fuselage and the forward horizontal mounting flange, is this normal and if it isn't what should/could be done? Anyway, just a quick progress report...

Thanks.

Craig
Blank

Return to Introductions