A New Hasbeen

A New Hasbeen

Postby Hasbenij » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:25 pm

I found a bucket with one list in it. Before I could think twice, there was a Onex being pulled to my home.
We reside near Denver, CO and are looking for other flying/building Sonex owners in the area.
At this time I'm looking to convert to a Tri Wheel and could use some common sense as to whether or not to change the plane or my certification.
Both options have challenges.
Looking forward to many fly-ins.
Hasbenij

Re: A New Hasbeen

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:03 am

Hi,

Michael here. I have built and flown two Sonex aircraft, first was a Xenos and now a OneX. I'm having a blast flying my OneX and I'm sure you will to.

So the question: switch a tail wheel OneX to a tricycle or earn a tail wheel endorsement. Like so many things in life the answer is - it depends.

First your flying experience. Do you have a thousand hours? Or did you just get your private pilot certificate? Have you flown 'sporty' aircraft like an RV, for example? Or maybe you haven't touched the controls of anything other than a Cessna 150. If you have what you and your bi-annual CFIs (ask them) would consider to be considerable flight experience I'd suggest you go ahead and get that tail wheel endorsement. If not consider the switch. Before you make up your mind be sure to contact your insurance agent to see what the difference in coverage would cost - tailwheel vs. tricycle.

Next your building experience. How comfortable would you be digging though the plans and learning what you'd need to know to make the switch? You have the plans, have you looked at them and do you know what needs to be replaced/changed? How are your time management skills? I list that first because it's the most important factor in success - by FAR! How are your skills with a ruler, drill, file, and rivet gun? Building a plane isn't rocket science, but it isn't an Ikea project either.

Good luck with your Onex.

-- Michael
OneX N169XE
Author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:06 am

I'd vote to get your tailwheel endorsement.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Arjay » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Learn to fly a taildragger. You won't regret it.

Arjay
Arjay

Postby Scott Todd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Like Michael says, how well do you manage time? The Onex is probably about the easiest to convert but you will still find it time consuming to gather parts, learn the process/plans, and actually do the work. Is the Onex flying? The fact that it's going to your home is interesting. What condition is it in?

Depending on your experience, 10-20 hours of TW instruction is probably less than the time to do the conversion. And then you will have that valuable skill.
Scott Todd

Postby davion » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:28 pm

Howdy! Hope you decide to fly and you'll have some fun!
davion

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:11 am

Welcome!

A factor to put in the mix - Generally - trike or tail of the same plane - you will be able to land the trike in higher wind ranges than the tail (in the air - no difference). The trike can "stick" better and be more controllable on the ground in a BIG X-Wind. Didn't stop me getting my tail endorsement though!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Hasbenij » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Gents,
Thank you for all the advice.
My apologies for the late response. I completely overlooked that this group of great people might be responding back.
I have studied the prints extensively and decided to convert to tri-wheel. Two triggers are flying hours (120) only in Cessna's and not able to get a LSA CFI in the area to train.
If all goes well, I hope to be in the air by December.
Hasbenij

Return to Introductions