Hello from KUUU - Newport

Hello from KUUU - Newport

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun May 26, 2019 9:53 am

Graeme Smith - based KUUU - Newport, RI

Originally from Scotland - I've been US naturalized since June 6th 2006 having moved here in 2001 (Green Card). I have my own small business offering business process consulting and IT services.

Flying for me was bucket list item started in Sept 2010 when a few friends started to drop by the wayside. PPL July 5th 2011.

I'm now about 1,850 hours, tail and complex endorsed with PIC in about 27 models. I like positive G aerobatics. Well up to about 4G after that - I don't do it enough to stay fit and keep my "ear" in balance. I've taken IFR training but never took the rating. A mixture of the difficulties of staying current at a level that would satisfy my personal minimums and spending the funds on a lot of other opportunities. I does mean I've had to seriously sit out weather on trips twice. But in 8 years with about 25 "trips" - it's a price I will pay. I like to throw a tent and folding bike in a plane and see where I end up.

I never quite finished that float rating - though I plug away at it every summer - maybe THIS year!

About 80+ Young Eagles flown in the EAA program. 5 that I know of are now PPL with three trying for aviation as a career.

I'm a volunteer member of the FAASafety Team at the Boston FSDO and have some WINGS presentations based on personal experience about:

- Engine out over the mountains
- Aeromedical factors for flying warbirds
- ADM when trying to outfly a hurricane

My "New England Runabout" - a C150 just headed to the salvage company after an incident with a perimeter fence after I aborted a take off having decided it was a better option than the trees. (Sounds a bit glib - believe me - this led to an intense period of personal re-evaluation and personal minimum checks as well as a requested peer review.). There is a WINGS talk in that I'm sure - when I get the chance to put it together.

I have a conditional offer in on a Sonex A right now to replace her. I've been ready to go Experimental for a while and it was always going to be on the basis of buying. I have the utmost admiration for those of you who build. Pretty sure I have the skillset (past life fixing up cars in my youth, some hands on marine engineering when I was at sea and a period custom yacht building being a contributing factors) - but I really want to fly - not build.

I'm a strong believer in the experience and wisdom offered by type clubs - and that's why I am here.

Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Hello from KUUU - Newport

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun May 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Graeme,
Welcome to the group! Hope you find the right Sonex for your needs.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby rwthomas1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Hello Graeme!
I've met you a few times at UUU. I finished up my PPL there with Andy Mara at Newport Aviation. Sorry to hear about the 150. I know she was your pride and joy, and quite nice. I'm currently in a 172 club, 79178, out of OQU, the Drago' s do all our maintenance.

I'd like to hear about your Sonex. There is a fairly active New England Sonex group. Mike Smith seems to be the official/unofficial Grand Poobaa, and he does a fine job I might add. If you are not already in touch with him and on the NE email list, let me know. He may find this thread anyway....

I have a legacy Sonex kit I purchased 80% complete. Converting from trigear/AeroVee to taildragger/six cylinder. It's it pieces in my garage.

Glad to see you went experimental!

Rob Thomas
rwthomas1

Postby Rynoth » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Welcome Graeme! Where in Scotland are you from? My family and I actually just came back from (my first) vacation to Scotland in May, really enjoyed our time there! My wife's grandparents live in Aberlour.

Welcome to the forum!
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:27 am

Rob - Hey! Small world. Yep - I know Mike Smith well at 6B6 - I'm actually a member of their EAA chapter.

Rynoth - nothing too romantic. Glasgow,

--

And hopefully if the weather plays - I am picking up a 2015 Sonex A in NC at the end of the week.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Return to Introductions