Hi There! and Anyone near Butler County Regional? (KHAO)

Hi There! and Anyone near Butler County Regional? (KHAO)

Postby jfclisham » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am

Hi everyone,

Well - after literally years of exploration and hmm'ing and haw'ing, I've decided that I must build! I currently own a very nice Cessna 152, but a long cross country to Detroit from Cincinnati area the last two days (to/from), convinced me a need a faster plane and an autopilot! Oh, and I want to build it. And it needs to have the ability to do an occasional roll or loop. I'm planning on either a Jabiru 3300 or ULPower 350is as the engine. My mission is the occasional 250nm X-Country overnight trip. But mostly local area flying. So, massive baggage isn't too important. My budget is also not unlimited. While I'd love a RV-7, it would cost at least $30K more, take WAY longer to build, and likely be overkill for my mission.

I'm currently leaning towards the Sonex B simply as it can be built a bit lighter and is likely slightly easier to build the tail. But, I absolutely love the look of the Y tail. So, it's still up in the air a bit.

Are there any builders/flyers near Hamilton, OH (Cincy Area)? I'd really like to sit in your Sonex? I think I've watched every single YouTube video and read every review out there. Net, I'm sure I'll love how it flies. I just need to test fit. I *think* it'll be similar to my C152, but have never sat in one.

Finally, anybody interested in a VERY nice Cessna 152? That's my $ to build.

Thanks!
John
Attachments
20180510_182306476_SMALL.jpg
N89642 - ~300SMOH on 2400TBO
jfclisham

Re: Hi There! and Anyone near Butler County Regional? (KHAO)

Postby vigilant104 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:13 pm

John,
Greetings. I don't know if I have the Sonex closest to you, but I'm not too far away. I have a trigear "legacy" Sonex with a 2180cc Aerovee/Great Plains engine. I'm near Dayton in a hangar tucked under the wing of another plane right now, but we can pull it out easily so you can test out the cockpit fit. It has the lowered seat, so headroom would be similar to the B-model Sonex/Waiex. Sorry it isn't flyable right now (I'm doing some engine work) or we could go flying. It is a very fun plane to fly: honest, responsive, but not twitchy at all.

Drop me a PM here if you'd like to visit and we'll work out the details.

Mark
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby jfclisham » Thu May 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Mark - PM Sent!
jfclisham

Postby Outlaw6 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm

John,
I'm in Milan Indiana about an hour drive from Butler Cnty. Mine is a trigear A model Waiex and your welcome to check it out almost any weekend.
Chris
Waiex N176WS (Tri-Gear Aerovee Turbo)
Outlaw6

Postby jfclisham » Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 am

Thanks Chris! PM sent. Let me know if you don't get it. They're showing up in my 'Outbox' vs. the Sent folder it the PM window.
jfclisham

Postby jfclisham » Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 am

vigilant104 wrote:John,
Greetings. I don't know if I have the Sonex closest to you, but I'm not too far away. I have a trigear "legacy" Sonex with a 2180cc Aerovee/Great Plains engine. I'm near Dayton in a hangar tucked under the wing of another plane right now, but we can pull it out easily so you can test out the cockpit fit. It has the lowered seat, so headroom would be similar to the B-model Sonex/Waiex. Sorry it isn't flyable right now (I'm doing some engine work) or we could go flying. It is a very fun plane to fly: honest, responsive, but not twitchy at all.

Drop me a PM here if you'd like to visit and we'll work out the details.

Mark

Mark - let me know on this thread if you don't get my PM. It appears to be in my Outbox folder vs. Sent in the PM area.
jfclisham

Postby vigilant104 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 pm

John,
I got your PM. For whatever reason, PMs sometimes sit in the outbox on this forum for a bit, but they eventually go.
Mark Waldron
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby chris » Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 pm

I got your PM. For whatever reason, PMs sometimes sit in the outbox on this forum for a bit, but they eventually go.

PMs stay in the outbox until they have been opened by the recipient.
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby vigilant104 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:21 pm

chris wrote:

PMs stay in the outbox until they have been opened by the recipient.

Chris, thanks. That's good to know.
Mark Waldron
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Return to Introductions