New Member, Prospective Waiex Builder

New Member, Prospective Waiex Builder

Postby jtb347 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:25 am

Hello Everyone!

I am new to forum here, but have been lurking for a long time. I am getting close to completing my Sport Pilot License (just a solo XC and checkride prep left), and have been an EAA member for a few years. I am very interested in the Waiex-B, but want to at least figure out if a fit in one before I commit. I am 6' 2" and about 230 lbs. I am in southwestern Ohio. Are there any builders near-by that would be willing to let me come sit in your airplane to get a feel for it and maybe put up with my questions about the build process?
- John
jtb347

Re: New Member, Prospective Waiex Builder

Postby thomas » Wed May 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum! I'm 6'5", 215lbs, and building a Waiex-B. My son (about 6'0" and 160lbs) and I sat together in the factory Waiex-B before placing an order at Osh '16. The rudder pedals were at the right distance for my relatively short legs. There was no shoulder room and I'll need to buy an in-ear headset to keep from scratching the canopy in turbulence. Yet I felt there was enough room in all the right places to operate the aircraft safely with an average size person beside me. I've flown shotgun in a legacy model without the lowered seat option and I don't recommend it for the larger folks.

If you find someone near you with a legacy model AND they built it with the lowered seat option AND it has a center stick, then you may get a good impression of what the newer B-model feels like. However, my advice is to go to Oshkosh and sit in the factory B-models. You'll then know exactly what you're buying into.

Paul
thomas

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums! I’m glad to hear you’re interested in the Waiex and live in Ohio. It’s always nice to hear of another “local” builder in the area.

I have my Legacy Waiex based at KMRT, just northwest of Columbus. You’re more than welcome to come up and sit in it anytime, ask all the questions you want, etc. There’s another tri gear Sonex at the airport, and I also know of a tri gear Waiex over at Moraine (just south of Dayton).

Feel free to PM me on here or email me at michaelfarley56@gmail.com anytime.

I take it you’re down by Cincy someplace?

Welcome!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby jtb347 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Thank you both for the replies!

Paul: I'm glad to hear from someone your size, it makes me feel better about fitting in the aircraft. I'm hoping to go to Oshkosh this summer, but life has a way of preventing these things sometimes.

Mike: I will definitely take you up on that offer! I've seen a couple of your YouTube videos about your Turbo Waiex, looks like a ton of fun! I am actually in the Dayton area, so not too far away.

- John
- John
jtb347

Postby vigilant104 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:11 am

John,
Sorry to be late to chime in. My legacy Sonex trigear is at I19 in Xenia, OH. It does have the lowered seat. We can't go flying (my engine is still apart) and we'd need to move it out from under another plane I share a hangar with, but you are welcome to come by and take a look/sit inside. It's not as nice s Mike Farley's plane (you should still go see him!).

Mark Waldron
Last edited by vigilant104 on Sun May 12, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:59 pm

vigilant104 wrote: It's not as nice s Mike Farley's plane (you should still go see him!).

Mark Waldron

Thank you for the nice comment Mark but you have a great looking airplane! When you are ready sir, you say the word and we will get a few of us together and get over there to help reassemble your AeroVee! I’d LOVE to see you, me, Scott and Tom all meet up at Urbana this summer in our airplanes!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby vigilant104 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:44 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Thank you for the nice comment Mark but you have a great looking airplane! When you are ready sir, you say the word and we will get a few of us together and get over there to help reassemble your AeroVee! I’d LOVE to see you, me, Scott and Tom all meet up at Urbana this summer in our airplanes!

Mike, thanks, I'll make you sorry you offered!

I'm happy with my plane, Jay Gibbs did a very nice build. I just need to spend a bit of time to tie up some loose ends that have developed since it left his care.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby jtb347 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm

vigilant104 wrote:John,
Sorry to be late to chime in. My legacy Sonex trigear is at I19 in Xenia, OH. It does have the lowered seat. We can't go flying (my engine is still apart) and we'd need to move it out from under another plane I share a hangar with, but you are welcome to come by and take a look/sit inside. It's not as nice s Mike Farley's plane (you should still go see him!).

Mark Waldron

Thank you Mark! I'd love to come see it and see how the lowered seat feels. I have been talking to Mike and working on a plan to head up that way as well. I actually go down to I19 every so often for EAA activities, the airport is not too far from my house. Just let me know when you're heading out that way and I might be able to swing by. I'd also be happy to help rebuild the engine, I am interested in that process as well.
- John
jtb347

Return to Introductions