Builder from TX

Builder from TX

Postby rmtrudeau » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Hello everyone!

This is actually not my first post....I have been stalking the forums for a while. Asking some questions...mainly about the Xenos.

First off, I have just been really impressed with the community. I think the forum here is a great resource and I look forward to asking a lot more questions going forward. There is a HUGE brain trust of information with a lot of build / piloting experience. Thank you Chris for creating this forum. It is an awesome thing!

The Sonex Flight Podcast has essentially sealed the deal for me. I feel like I know Jeff Schultz, Gary Motley and John Gillis from listening to them for hours on end (not sure if that is good or bad). I have around an hour commute to work and I have blasted through the whole series pretty quick. It makes me want to get started even more.

I go back and forth....even day by day on what I want to build. It is going to be a Xenos or a Waiex, just not sure yet. I am a professional pilot by trade, flown previously at the regionals and corporate flight departments. Currently, I am actually a full time Simulator Instructor. I have began Soaring in the last year. It has been the best flying experience of my life and I hope to finish my Commercial Glider rating this Spring. I am a member of the Texas Soaring Association in Midlothian, TX (DFW area.)

The idea of owning a Motorglider that I can acquire for a fraction of the cost of a new or used one is extremely appealing to me. I think it would make me a much better pilot and the fact I have options (engine-off or on) is something that I can't get around. I am 33 years old with 4 kids at home. Being able to go fly on a day off (that doesn't necessarily line up with a towing day) is the biggest benefit out there. Additionally. I think it would be fun to explore various soaring sights around the county. I would have the ability to fly myself and one of my kids there for a family type trip and be able to explore ridge or wave soaring. That is something which would be hard for me to do, even if I owned a pure sailplane, especially since I am going to be working for a long time still.

The Waiex would be great, too. Would be easier to build in my space and I would have a lot less headaches trying to figure out where to hangar it. I am a CFI still and I think it would be awesome to get a LODA to help train some of the Sonex community, especially with all of the insurance concerns. The fact that it is cheaper is a huge benefit. If I did build a Waiex, maybe I would go into a 1-26 as well?

I want to pull the trigger in the next month or so. Especially now, that the Spring Sale has just been announced. I look forward to getting to know everyone a little more over the next months and years. I just realized about two weeks ago that Reklaw is about a 2 hour drive from where I live! Hopefully I get the chance to meet some of you one of these days and see what you have been able to create.

if there are any builders in the DFW area please speak up ! Would be great to meet and maybe I could even try to convince you to give me a demo!

Be safe out there!

Ryan Trudeau
rmtrudeau

Re: Builder from TX

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 pm

Hey Ryan,
The Xenos is cool. I'd vote Waiex and 1-26 though. Also I found that soaring was a struggle with the family, and I only had two kids. Hope to get back to it when the kiddos get through college. In the meantime I just want to finish and fly my Waiex. I have owned an L33 Solo and a 1-35C before.

If my wife didn't hate airplanes and flying, I'd own a 172.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GWMotley » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:10 am

Hello Ryan,

Thank you very much for the positive comments about the Sonex Flight Podcast. The three of us really do appreciate the feedback. As you can imagine, sometimes it feels as if we are in a void with this form of essentially one way communication. We really love talking with other builders to learn how they built a better mouse trap so to speak.

Please stay in touch and let us know how your Sonex project develops.

Sincerely,

Gary Motley
GWMotley

Postby rauburg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:23 pm

Ryan,

A friend and I bought a Xenos last May and couldn't be happier with it. We missed out on the soaring season last year and are gearing up for this year. Coincidentally I gave another friend a ride in it and he was hooked on the Sonex line. He wound up buying a Waiex in very short order. I am not an expert by any means and you seem to have a great grasp on your choices and here are my thoughts so far.

To me, the biggest Xenos issue is hanger space. If you keep the Xenos at TSA you might be fine. We got a good deal on an oddball hanger with a 50' door but two shallow for most twins. Got lucky there and otherwise we would have wound up in a gang hanger.

The Xenos and Waiex are both great fliers. Our planes are both Jaibiru 3300 powered and that is a great choice. I am guessing that the Waiex has about 25-30 mph on the Xenos. I indicate 106 mph. We have made a couple of trips and if I fly at 2,750 rpm and he throttles back to 2,600 rpm we can fly together for the most part.

One more thing, because of the light wing loading the Xenos ride is sporty in even the lightest conditions. If you are going cross country I recommend going early or late and staying high. On the flip side It looks like our L/D is about 21:1 with a sink rate for 280-300 fpm, two up. I gave up my dreams of long cross country flights and contests a long time ago and the Xenos fits what I need perfectly. I usually only have 2 or 3 hours at a time to fly and Xenos will great for that. It will be a great match for the West Texas and South East New Mexico thermals where I fly. I have had a short flight in an Aerovee Xenos and if your primary mission is soaring that should work well too.

I am totally sold on the Sonex line and experimental aircraft. Sonex aircraft are straight forward and efficient. The experimental category makes owning and maintaining our plane much easier and economical as well.

We did not build our planes and if finances allow you might want to look for a completed aircraft. Waiex's are more available than the Xenos (we got lucky) and the Sonex even more so. I have not flown a Sonex and would take a good one without second thought. A flying Sonex or Waiex and a 1-26 would probably cost less than building either plane.

We are based at ODO, Odessa Schleymer field. If you are in the area rides in each plane could probably be arranged. I plan to take the Xenos to Decatur in May for the condition inspection and could probably give you a ride then as well.

Randy Auburg CFI I-AG
Xenos N5234
rauburg

Postby dbdevkc » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:54 pm

As someone who came into flying via soaring, I own a 1-26 and am currently building a Waiex. Xenos was always interesting, but knowing that is has the gliding performance of a 2-33 swayed me to the Waiex route.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby rmtrudeau » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Thank you everyone for the comments and welcome. I have heard that the wing loading does make a bumpy ride...it honestly seems like that is the biggest complaint other than the oil canning of the wings. I would like to hear more about it if any other Xenos drivers could chime in.

A Waiex definitely could be the way to go for me as well. I am trying to be honest with myself about where and how I am actually going to fly. I am just East of the DFW Class B...I could see flying a Waiex to Houston and North Louisiana a few times a year. Most of the rest would be local. Would make a great commuter airplane to head down to my Glider Club! I have about a 1:10 drive right now.

I appreciate everyone here and thank you again.
rmtrudeau

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Would make a great commuter airplane to head down to my Glider Club!

That was one of my thoughts when I selected the Waiex to build.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby fastj22 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:37 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Would make a great commuter airplane to head down to my Glider Club!

That was one of my thoughts when I selected the Waiex to build.

I've commuted to my glider club in my Waiex, its on the other side of the airpark. I typically take off, do a couple of low passes, then taxi over to the club, never leaving the pattern.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby n502pd » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi Ryan! Welcome to this fine group of aviators and builders!
I am based at Finney Field, just south of Sherman, west of HI way 75 on FM 902, a grass strip. I invite you to visit me and N502PD, AeroVee powered Sonex A model tail wheel scratch built plane. I have only 23.5 hours on it just now. Weather and short illness have precluded flight for several months. I am currently doing some modifications to the engine controls. I wont be able to give you a demo flight due to gross weight...I have a,shall I say,,fat butt! So I consider SrPeeDee a two seat single person craft!

You are welcome to visit anytime as I am on my own until the wife calls for dinner!

Please PM me to arrainge if you so choose!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Postby woodmw » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:13 am

Joe... Using Google maps and Google Earth, that looks like a great place to keep a plane. I am envious.
woodmw

Next

Return to Introductions