New Member in VA

New Member in VA

Postby alan_g » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:49 am

My wife and I just completed a round trip to Oshkosh to visit the Sonex sales office. The OneX is on my short list of construction options. I've never built an aircraft before, and am well behind the power curve regarding proper construction procedures. As I approach this very large decision, I would appreciate any inputs from the group as to reference material to read rather than waste kit material and time.

Thanks,
Alan
alan_g

Re: New Member in VA

Postby woodmw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:21 am

There is a lot of information available from EAA.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/homebuilders_corner

Also, Ron Wanttaga, Kit Airplane Construction, Amazon

If you haven't done so already, join EAA, and find a local chapter. You might find someone building or flying a Sonex aircraft. Almost certainly someone with an RV.
woodmw

Postby petep » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:12 am

Don't know where in VA you are but we have a nice Sonex community in then Tidewater area. We have several Sonexs and a Onex flying at Chesapeake Regional if you want to drop by and check them out just drop me a line.
petep

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 am

Alan,
Welcome to the forum. If you are building because it is a personal goal, or a scratch to itch, those are good reasons. But if so I would not be too concerned about kit materials and time. You will waste some of both. It is part of the personal development process. There is plenty to read on Sonexbuilders as well as builder's websites. Look at Waiex and Sonex builds too, as there are many more examples and the construction is very similar.

The main skill is perseverance. Everything else is easily learned in comparison. Learning everything else is the fun part.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby alan_g » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks to woodmw was for the link. I’ve been a member of EAA chapter 186 for a number of years, but only recently found myself as able to afford to build a plane rather than just rent aircraft.

petep - I live in the Manassas area. Day trips to the Norfolk area have been a staple of my work life for any number of years. I’ll contact you separately to set up a mutually agreeable date.

Alan
alan_g

Postby alan_g » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Please ignore the “was” in the first sentence above. Typo.
alan_g

Return to Introductions