Questions on Sonex aircraft

Questions on Sonex aircraft

Postby Ray1966 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:45 am

Hello,My name is Ray. I Do not have a LSA certificate yet,but have a few questions to ask and hope I can get the answers to them here. I hope I don't sound like an idiot.I am interested in a tri gear Waiex/B model or Legacy for sure...but May be ok with a Sonex tri gear.

1.Can a Sonex be converted to a Waiex by re-doing the tail ?
2.Does anyone make a 120HP Corvair mount for the B model?
3.Are the kits made in 05 harder to build then a later kit?
4.Is it cheaper to build a 120HP Corvair by buying components vs Engine in a box?
5.What are some prices of builders here for a RTF corvair engine?
6.Is it a good idea to buy a used converted Corvair,rebuild it so all is new ?
7.What is the highest gross weight for a Waiex powered by a 120 HP engine?
8,I was told of someone who may have a pattern for a cowl for a Corvair engine. If someone here has them or knows for sure of someone to help out with that.
9.What is the range/endurance on a Legacy and B model with a 120 HP Corvair?
10.Is it a good idea to buy a non started early model kit?
11.Im sure other question may come up from any answers I may get.
12.Could I get by with a 100HP Corvair in South West Texas?
13.Anyone flying to the NEW NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE Dublin Texas flyin this Saturday Oct 6th?
14.Should I buy a Zodiac 650B or SPA Panther instead?

Thank you Ray S.
Ray1966

Re: Questions on Sonex aircraft

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:44 am

Hi Ray

I’m building a classic Waiex and have my Corvair motor built up and ready to go. I located, cleaned and disassembled my motor carcass, then had WW do most of the assembly. I participated when I could be there, and attended a couple of Corvair colleges. I bought my kit second hand. Only one of the stabilizer s has been started, which was scrapped and easily replaced with new parts from the factory.

Sonex has improved the kit quality significantly since 05. But it will still be buildable and you can produce an inexpensive plane that way. Don’t try to cut corners on whichever motor you go with. Your butt depends on this unit. A used Corvair engine with known pedigree and inspection by knowledgeable person should be fine. I personally don’t believe you will save anything by trying to rebuild a built up engine, this idea sounds problematic.

My motor cost a little over $14k. I have the motor mount, baffles, intake and exhaust, and nosebowl. I think the cowling is made right on the plane, the directions seem straightforward, it is not a kit but spa sells the fiberglass nosebowl.

I don’t think spa has done a motormount for B model yet, but talk to them. They are good people and may want to develop one.

It’s experimental, max gross weight is set by the builder. Good idea to stick with the manufacturer on this, but not required.

All good planes. Very different missions. You need to decide what you think you will actually do with the plane, then select the one that fits.

Best of luck. Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:45 am

I can answer a few of the questions:
1) No
7) 1150 lbs
12) Yes

Welcome to the forums!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Ray1966 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Thank you......I have spoke to SPA,and they do not expect to make a Corvair mount for the B model at time. Mr.Turner how did you get the engine at 14k if I may ask and what HP. that is a lot cheaper then my figures. lol....
Ray1966

Postby kmacht » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 pm

If you stick to a 100hp corvair instead of 120 you can build one up to ww's conversion manual specs for under 8k. That is just for the motor and assumes you will weld up your own mount, exhaust, and intake. It does include having spa inspect and process the crank. Going from 100 to 120 jumps price up considerably because it requires custom pistons, cylinders, connecting rods, the spa crank, and machine work to the case and heads. The 100hp version uses mostly stock automotive parts that can be bought inexpensivly from a number of sources. There is considerable savings if you source and buy the parts yourself from the different companies. The conversion manual details out everything needed and where to get it. If you want just a bolt together full kit and ease and quickness of building is more important than cost the engine in a box is the way to go. I have a spreadsheet with the costs of a 100hp conversion all seperated out. I believe that I posted it in another thread a while back but if you email me I would be happy to send you a copy.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Ray1966 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Thank you Keith, I just read that the 120HP was lighter then the stock version.... I figured might as well go for the extra 20 UP and shave 5 to 10lbs off it. I read about guys getting a engine like zi want for 8k to 14k...SPA has them for around 15k to 19k with shipping and crate thats why I am curious in the price difference. I rather buy a mount I can sweat copper but not weld steel lol. I have my eye on a couple of Sonex kits and just wanna make sure I can get the kit and engine at the same time on my budget that way I have no debt on it, and only need insturments and upholstery and what not later. Maybe with a 100HP my fuel use may be less than the 120HP for that small rank/more range. But maybe an aux fuel tank like the wing tanks some guys went in on would work and I get the 120HP and more range...I brain storming here. I didntbhave a problem with a engine in a box..but if I can get a engine for 8k to14k I would be happy....My email is boogie66.rs@gmail .com.

Thank you
Ray
Ray1966

Postby racaldwell » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:55 am

Ray,

If you have time to wait and some amount of luck, lower priced engine deals do come along every so often. In my case, I wanted maximum hp so was looking at the Jab 3300. After a couple years building, I saw on the Van's Aircraft Forum a new in the box Jab 3300 for sale $10k. I bought it and stored it in my house. A year or so later, I was negotiating with a guy in Australia and part of that agreement was a new CAMit 3300 for a good price. So I put the Jab up for sale and sold it for $8.5k. The loss I took on the Jab was worth it to me to complete the deal on a good price for a CAMit at 127 hp.

Then a year later, the US CAMit dealer sold his display engine for $15k. That was another good deal.

Something to consider.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby EdW » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Therre's a Nesmith Cougar project on eBay, comes with a Corvair engine...bid 3200.00.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nesmith-Cougar ... 2804145280?
EdW

Return to Introductions