New Waiex Owner

New Waiex Owner

Postby Titanium Cranium » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Hi everyone. I figured it was time to join the forum here after finding the answers to numerous Sonex questions I had while looking into the aircraft. I'm afraid I can't claim to be a builder, but I'm the proud new owner of a previously completed Waiex. As I get used to my new plane and learn more about it, I'm sure I'll come up with dozens more questions that I may pester you all with. I hope to get the chance to meet many of you at Sonex events and fly-ins, as I hope to attend as many as possible to meet people within the Sonex community.

Tom H.
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Re: New Waiex Owner

Postby wlarson861 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:09 am

Welcome to the forum Tom, glad your'e here. This is a great place to get answers to questions from general to specific. Just ask, someone will have an answer or at least point you in a direction of further inquiry. Don't do anything to your plane based on any of us until you have run it past Sonex. Pay the registration transfer fee to Sonex and get support, I think its well worth it since you are not the builder, you will need help with technical issues as time goes on.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 am

Tom,
Welcome to the group! Number 37 looks great, and interesting how we came up with the same radio and transponder mounting with the center controls.

I tried to paste in the search results for "find builders" on the Sonex factory site but that URL is not interpreted correctly. But you can search for Waiex 37 to see the pics.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:25 am

Welcome to the forums Tom! I'm glad to see Don's Waiex is in the hands of a proud new owner and can start getting used again! She's a beauty!

Where are you going to base the Waiex? The last time I checked, it was at Barnhart Memorial. I keep my Waiex at KMRT and live in Columbus, so I'm not far away if you need anything!

Welcome!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby vwglenn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Welcome from another buyer. This is a good group. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your experience.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby dtwolcott » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 am

Welcome to the fork tail crowd. Those that have only a rudimentary knowledge of airplanes are dumb founded as to how it could possibly work. I just tell them when I am ready to put a jet engine on top of the plane the tail will not be in the way. They get this dumb founded look on their face and just walk away.
Sometimes we just have to be different.
Don
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby Titanium Cranium » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:36 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Welcome to the forums Tom! I'm glad to see Don's Waiex is in the hands of a proud new owner and can start getting used again! She's a beauty!

Where are you going to base the Waiex? The last time I checked, it was at Barnhart Memorial. I keep my Waiex at KMRT and live in Columbus, so I'm not far away if you need anything!

Welcome!

It's good to know that some of you guys knew Don. I've heard a lot about him from Janet and sure wish I could have known him. He sounds like he was a heck of a guy, and I sure admire his attention to detail with his work. That's a big part of what made me feel confident in buying his plane. I could tell that he put a lot of care into it, and I sure hope to take good care of it to honor what he put into it. I'm based at Moraine (I73), as I work about 2 minutes from there, so it gives me a chance to fly as often as possible. I will definitely let you know when I head toward Columbus to see if we can meet up and grab a burger or something.
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Postby Titanium Cranium » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm

wlarson861 wrote:Welcome to the forum Tom, glad your'e here. This is a great place to get answers to questions from general to specific. Just ask, someone will have an answer or at least point you in a direction of further inquiry. Don't do anything to your plane based on any of us until you have run it past Sonex. Pay the registration transfer fee to Sonex and get support, I think its well worth it since you are not the builder, you will need help with technical issues as time goes on.

I need to get my paperwork submitted to Sonex for the transfer, and I have heard that they do offer great advice and support. I'm actually hoping to fly to their headquarters this summer to check things out and get all the advice they can offer and learn as much as I can about the aircraft for maintenance and such.
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Postby vwglenn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 am

Titanium Cranium wrote:I need to get my paperwork submitted to Sonex for the transfer, and I have heard that they do offer great advice and support. I'm actually hoping to fly to their headquarters this summer to check things out and get all the advice they can offer and learn as much as I can about the aircraft for maintenance and such.

The transfer is well worth it. If you're headed to their HQ this summer, I recommend doing so anytime in the week of July 24th-30th.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:52 pm

vwglenn wrote:
Titanium Cranium wrote:I need to get my paperwork submitted to Sonex for the transfer, and I have heard that they do offer great advice and support. I'm actually hoping to fly to their headquarters this summer to check things out and get all the advice they can offer and learn as much as I can about the aircraft for maintenance and such.

The transfer is well worth it. If you're headed to their HQ this summer, I recommend doing so anytime in the week of July 24th-30th.

Great idea! Right now both Scott Meyer and I are planning on flying up to AirVenture (probably head up the Saturday or Sunday before it starts) so if you have an interest and want to join, let us know!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Next

Return to Introductions