Hello...New Guy

Hello...New Guy

Postby aero-103 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Mosquito email.jpg
Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I am in the market for a Sonex. I currently built and fly an experimental helicopter (Mosquito XE) and have over 300hrs on it. I really want an RV but I just can't afford an RV, so I looked into the Sonex. It is a beautiful airplane and is sort of a poor man's RV in my humble opinion. I am having trouble on deciding whether to buy or build. Any advice would be truly appreciated.
aero-103

Re: Hello...New Guy

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Hey Mike,
The Mosquito looks cool! I miss helicopters.
If you want to build, get a kit and build. If you just want to fly, the market is not bad. Nothing wrong with either path.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:11 pm

A loaded question, really :-) It depends on what is most important to you. Building will take you a fair bit of time, even from a kit (I scratch-built). I've been flying my Sonex for 2-1/2 years and REALLY miss building. Building can possibly save you some $$, but depending on how you engine it and outfit it, it may not be as much as you think. I scratch built and put in an AeroVee, and still spent $28K. Some other scratch builders have come in under $20K, so there are obviously a lot of variables. I'd love to build from a kit just to see what that is like, though it seems a little like cheating to a scratch builder ;-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby aero-103 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I am leaning more towards a build of the new B model. It would definitely be a quick build option though.

Regards,
Mike
aero-103

Postby rk2436 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Better look real good at the $ numbers. A quick build Sonex puts you over most RV numbers. Better off buying than building to take advantage of lower resale values too on the Sonex.
Bob K
Orig builder kit 1143
Now flying RV-12
Evergreen Park,Il
rk2436

Postby aero-103 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:19 am

Yes sir...building a QB does start to add up when adding avionics, etc. I have been in touch with a gentleman who is selling one on Barnstormers. It is N926AR. Full disclosure...he advised that he had an off field landing in his that caused significant damage to the front of the plane. I googled and saw pictures of the damaged aircraft. He has since completely re-built the damaged areas and has put numerous hours on the plane. What are some thoughts/suggestions/recommendations on purchasing one that was previously damaged? I would imagine having an A&P examine it thoroughly first would be in line?
aero-103

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:36 am

Hi Mike,

First, welcome to the forums! I'm glad to hear you're interested in the Sonex and I believe you'll love flying in the airplane as soon as you get the chance. Having a decent number of hours in RV's, I can tell you the handling of the Sonex is very similar. You don't have the same level of performance but you also don't have the cost of an RV either.

On the thought of buy vs. build, like the other guys have said, it depends on what you want and what your mission is. Building is very enjoyable and like Mike Smith, I miss building as well, but even if you build the project at a fast pace it's going to take 1-3 years to have a completed airplane. If you want to fly, the market is depressed right now so it's a good time to buy. You can buy a flying Sonex for less money than it would cost to build a new one. On the other hand, if you want a B model, there aren't any completed ones on the market yet. Plus the kit is so good anymore they'll go together quickly, but you'll still need to build it. Your call!

When you're looking at flying examples to purchase, a good pre-purchase inspection done by an experimental aircraft-friendly A&P is a wise idea. The Sonex airframe is very simple and overbuilt which makes it easy to inspect, but care should still be taken to ensure the airframe and engine is built properly. And this is my two cents only, but I've seen Robert's Sonex (N926AR) and it's a very nice example! I haven't inspected it, but it shows very well.

Again, welcome!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby jjbardell » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Welcome! I sent you a PM, check your inbox. Regards, Josh
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby aero-103 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Hello all,

Is there any Sonex builders near Brighton, Colorado? I could use your assistance with a pre-buy purchase of a built Sonex. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mike
aero-103

Postby fastj22 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:33 pm

aero-103 wrote:Hello all,

Is there any Sonex builders near Brighton, Colorado? I could use your assistance with a pre-buy purchase of a built Sonex. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mike

Theres Gary Motley at KBJC, and four of us down at KfLY that can probably help out. send me a message for contact info.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to Introductions