Hello from San Francisco Bay Area!

Postby SP1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello All,
I'm very pleased to join the forum! I'm excited to start on the path towards building my own airplane. It's going to be awhile before I actually order a kit, but I'm hoping sooner than later.

I've been looking at the Zenith and the Sonex for quite awhile, as I'm sure most people did when they first started looking at an all metal kit. Would love to connect with Sonex builders in the area if anyone is around here.
SP1

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:22 pm

Welcome SP1!

Looking forward to hearing about your progress when you build a Sonex!

Like everything else online, there is some good technical advice here when taken in the correct context, but the factory technical support is your first resource. You are also sure to find lots of opinions.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Hello from San Francisco Bay Area!

Postby Waiex 49 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Sam,

I have my Waiex hangared at KLHM (Lincoln Airport) just north of Sacramento.

Not exactly in the Bay Area, but it isn't too far of a drive.

If you want to come out for a hangar visit I'd be happy to show you my plane.

Don Bowen
www.mykitlog.com/donbowen
Waiex 49

Postby SP1 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:23 pm

Waiex 49 wrote:Sam,

I have my Waiex hangared at KLHM (Lincoln Airport) just north of Sacramento.

Not exactly in the Bay Area, but it isn't too far of a drive.

If you want to come out for a hangar visit I'd be happy to show you my plane.

Don Bowen
http://www.mykitlog.com/donbowen

Hi Don,
Thanks very much for the offer. Hope to be able to make it out that way soon!
SP1

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi sam,
I live in the sf bay area part time. Our flying waiex 143 , is in tucson, building second waiex#183 converting to b model. Some parts here in sf. Would be happy to meet up someday for a beverage and talk all things sonex. Kevin posts on here and lives in san mateo. Seems to be well along on his build. Need to pay him a visit. U need to attend airventure in oshkosh, look over all the mfgr's and their aircraft. Sit in them. Ask questions. See which model fits your needs. If you wish to meet up someday just let me know. Enjoy SBPF !
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Waiex 49 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Sam,

I just sent you a private message with my contact info.

Come on out sometime for a hangar visit.

Don
Waiex 49

Postby Jonathan McGee » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Guess I should introduce myself (again).

I tried building a Waiex a few years ago but then sold the unfinished kit before moving out to join the Bay Area tech industry. I decided that I didn't learn my lesson the first time around, so the (heavily damaged) Waiex-B Fuselage kit arrived in Palo Alto today.
Attempt #2 at this whole Sonex Business.
Waiex-B WXB0019 [Progress reported upon completion]
Jonathan McGee

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi jonathan,
Oh no! How bad was it damaged? Did you call sonex before you accepted the damaged kit? Good luck, im sure they will help. Was it conway shipping? Too bad to hear. Good luck. Not sure if you or sonex has to file the claim. Be sure to take pictures.
We had a jab3300 shipped from jab usa. Wooden crate must have fallen off fork lift. Smashed crate , plus engine loose inside box and crank support wooden flange broken in half. We refused shipment. Went back to jab usa. Took alot of effort from myself( faa manager, now retired) , an eaa director( now retired, lawyer by profession, and friend) and sonex ( thanks jeremy) to get jab usa to do right and ship us a new engine.
Regards
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Jonathan McGee » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:21 am

I'll jokingly describe it as "looks like it was mauled by a bear" for now. The pallet itself was unmolested, but the boxes on top were all mangled. The tail skins and some u-channel is going to be replaced. I called Sonex CS before signing off on the shipment (Conway) and they told me to accept it, but document the damage and they'll start the claim. Combined with the backordered bits, it's going to take effort to figure out which sub-assemblies I have enough to actually start working on.

It's still a detour from the original post. I was just point out "new Sonex kit in Bay Area."
Attempt #2 at this whole Sonex Business.
Waiex-B WXB0019 [Progress reported upon completion]
Jonathan McGee

Postby SP1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:43 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi sam,
I live in the sf bay area part time. Our flying waiex 143 , is in tucson, building second waiex#183 converting to b model. Some parts here in sf. Would be happy to meet up someday for a beverage and talk all things sonex. Kevin posts on here and lives in san mateo. Seems to be well along on his build. Need to pay him a visit. U need to attend airventure in oshkosh, look over all the mfgr's and their aircraft. Sit in them. Ask questions. See which model fits your needs. If you wish to meet up someday just let me know. Enjoy SBPF !
WaiexN143NM
Michael

Thanks Michael for the tips and the names. I intend to get out to Osh Kosh one of these days, for air venture as well as for transition training (I heard of the pitch sensitvity in comparison to 152s and PA-38 tomahawks)
SP1

Next

Return to Introductions