New Guy with Questions

New Guy with Questions

Postby TenSeven » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi everyone.

I've been admiring Sonex for quite awhile, often visiting the they're booth at several AirVentures and interested in building a Onex. I'm a retired Firefighter and looking to get my Sport Pilot License soon (actually, I'm hoping to attend EAA's new Sport Pilot Academy). I have some basic questions that may be way off the mark but go right along with my inexperience so no tomato throwing please ;). Thanks

1) Is there such a thing as a Factory Build Program, in other words, could I assemble a Onex Quick Build Kit at the Factory?

Reason: If I attend EAA's Sport Pilot Academy it would be great to both get my License and build my aircraft at Wittman Airport.

2) Can you fly a Onex open cockpit?

Reason: I love open cockpit aircraft.

3) BRS (again, no tomatoes throwing please :) ). Can the Onex be fitted with a ballistic parachute.

Reason: Added safety.

4) Besides the 80hp AeroVee engine (which is probably plenty for a new pilot), is the only other Onex engine option the turbo-charged AeroVee?

Thanks everyone, glad to be here.

Mike
TenSeven

Re: New Guy with Questions

Postby Concorde » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi Mike,
First welcome.
The answer to your first 2 questions,would be no and I let someone else answer your next 2 questions.
Good luck and enjoy your flight training.
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby gcm52 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:54 pm

With respect to the BRS, if you are flying a single place aircraft like the Onex, it might make more sense to just wear a parachute. That is a much simpler solution. For a multi person aircraft, it is much more difficult to get your passengers out with parachutes, so the extra engineering for a whole aircraft chute makes more sense. But if you are the only one in the plane, just buy a used chute and wear it.

With respect to engines, if you want something other than a VW engine, you would need to design and fabricate what is called the "firewall forward" items yourself. Firewall forward refers to the engine mount, cowling, baffles, etc. that are needed for a different engine. I am planning on doing this for the Onex I am building, I am most likely going to install a 100 hp Rotax 912. I believe people have installed a UL Power engine in a Onex, and also a Jabiru 3300. That would be more work and complexity for a first time builder, however it is certainly doable.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby TenSeven » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the welcome Ben! Makes sense George, I appreciate it.
TenSeven

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums! Hopefully we can answer your questions and I'll help by taking a crack at your first few here...

1. There is no builder assist program at the factory, but there are videos to help you along. The Onex is so easy to build it will fly together regardless, and if you really want it done quickly, there is a quick build option you can look into.

2. The Onex isn't designed for open cockpit flying. I don't know if anyone has ever tried it or looked into the aerodynamic effects of flying one without a canopy.

3. The only factory airplane with a BRS system in mind is the SubSonex. The rest of the line, including the Onex, stall at around 35-40 mph which is the same speed as you would be descending vertically under a chute. The factory thinks you'll have a much better outcome if you were under control as opposed to suspended under a parachute. Of course, as the builder you can always add your own system or as others have said, wear a parachute.

4. The only factory supported engine options are the AeroVee and AeroVee turbo. Having said that, a lot of other engines have been used including other VW based engines, both the Jabiru 2200 and 3300, UL engines among others. So it will be up to you on what you'd like to use, but the builder engineering will need to rise drastically if you go with something other than an AeroVee. You would have to fabricate your own engine mount, modify the cowling, add accessories, etc. but ultimately it's your decision!!

Good luck!!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby mike.smith » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:38 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:3. The only factory airplane with a BRS system in mind is the SubSonex. The rest of the line, including the Onex, stall at around 35-40 mph which is the same speed as you would be descending vertically under a chute. The factory thinks you'll have a much better outcome if you were under control as opposed to suspended under a parachute. Of course, as the builder you can always add your own system or as others have said, wear a parachute.

Sonex said they did look into a BRS for their planes, but could never come up with a configuration that would be balanced (coming down bottom-first) and had a place for all the straps to run and to be anchored. Anchor points and their supporting structures would have to be reinforced, too, adding more weight.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby TenSeven » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate the quick response to my questions, and the complete answers. (That's a good sign when evaluating a company, thanks!)
TenSeven

Return to Introductions