Randy here from sunny South Florida

Randy here from sunny South Florida

Postby Area 51% » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:46 am

Since I'm mostly computer illiterate, I've put off entering this site as long as I could. Haven't been taught how to upload (proper term?) pictures yet, so will be voice only for a spell.

I am from Michigan originally, and moved to the Keys in 2007 with my lovely assistant Betty. We vacationed here for 10 years in the 90's (the year, not the temperature), flying our 1953 Bonanza into Summerland and renting a house. The opportunity came for early semi-retirement, and I took it, but the move required the sale of the planes (yes, planes, Betty had a Cherokee) to buy a house.

Fast forward to now. The desire to build has been there for a long time and the time and resorces are now available. Because of my love of Bonanzas ( I had a 1956 before I met Betty) the Waiex was the only way to go. Went to Oshkosh 2015 to see if we would fit, and purchased tail and fuselage sub-kits. Drove up to the "factory" the first week of October for the workshop and to pick up the kits.

I am enjoying the build, more or less, but am having "more than my share" (Kerry's words) of issues related to the matched hole construction that is supposed to "save" time.

I'ld like to post my problems in hope there is a better solution than to just "up-drill, rivet, and don't worry about it", but this probably isn't the correct forum. Where should I go?

I've looked at a lot of your builds, and every once in a while there is a hint that I may not be the only one with certain issues.

I have completed the stabilator structures (no skins yet), ruddervators, rudder, and am currently trying to turn a bunch of fuselage parts into a box. It's not going well.
Looking forward to hearing what the group has to say . I can be reached at bubblesinbpfl@yahoo.com for personal tutoring.
Area 51% signing off.
Area 51%

Re: Randy here from sunny South Florida

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:25 am

Hey Randy,
Welcome to the forums! I flew to Key West one time in a rented C172. Had to stop in Marathon on the way back to wait out thunderstorms. It was the week after Hurricane Andrew. Neat place to live!

My take on the Waiex kit is that it is very good, but not perfect. I had most of my issues in the tail, a few in the fuselage, and pretty much none in the wings. Some of the issues are having a few holes not line up, and some are due to reuse of Sonex parts for the WAiex fuselage. Pulley brackets in the front of the tailcone come to mind.

I have worked for two airframers - Sikorsky and Schweizer. I can tell you it is not an uncommon practice for engineering to figure out a way to use imperfect parts. This is part of the challenge of keeping prices and profits where they need to be. I am sure Beechcraft, Boeing, Cessna etc are all in the same boat here.

There are a few good builder's sites out there for the Waiex that are a helpful reference. Ryan's is one, and I have tried to keep a good log of issues on my thread. Later as you get to fuselage and wing build that is not Sonex or Waiex specific there are even more great references out there like Jeff's or Bob's website.

Welcome to the tribe!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Welcome Randy! I was actually in Key West just last weekend, my boss as a condo there and flies down a lot, I get to tag along if the weather is iffy.

I always enjoy helping other Waiexers along, if you're facing an issue there a good chance we've seen and dealt with it too.

There's a link to my blog in my signature, I tried to keep it mostly layman's terms while addressing most of the issues I faced.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Area 51% » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:21 am

Hello Bryan and Mr. Roth (is it Ryan?). I've spent a good deal of my life looking at both of your builds. Many thanks right up front for taking the time to compile such complete and informative sites. When I figure out where my questions and problems should be directed, (I'm sure this topic isn't the place) I'm going to sound like the biggest whiner in the community.

I've not kept a running log of the discrepancies I've encountered so far, but they are mostly still fresh in my mind. In most cases, a heads-up from the factory could have saved me a great deal of time and frustration as they seem to already be aware of the issues I've pointed out. I feel as if I could be writing my name on the fuselage and completing the pin-striping by now if I had had a list of issues to look out for instead of shopping through blogs looking for clues. Once again.............many thanks for the clues.

A good example is the second rib from the root of the stabilator. Mine seemed to be too long and clecoing it to the front spar resulted in a row of skin rivet holes on that rib that were out of line, not to mention tension on the structure. I believe, Bryan, your solution was to remove the forward end of the rib and rivet on a replacement. I chose to purchase blank stock and manufacture a rib according to the plans. You also brought to light the laser cut 1/8" holes in the #1 bottom cross-tie which should have been by now, in my opinion, corrected to 3/32". They haven't been and it's my understanding this is a common piece for both of the airframes. As long as I'm on that subject, it's too narrow by almost 1/8". The overall comes in at 39 7/8" instead of the 40" ,using that piece, and would require trimming of the bottom skin without corrective action. People talk of trimming skins. Coincidence, or common problem? I've ordered cross-tie channel to fabricate a replacement that will allow the skin to lay between the side skins as "Father Monett" had intended. I can't be the only one to have run across this issue.

What has me throwing things at this particular moment are the aft fuselage verticals at the #2-3-4 stations. When I cleco the lower cross-ties to them, the ties extend .050" below the longerons. The upper cross-ties have a .050" gap between the longeron and the flange that is supposed to rivet to it. All the other cross-ties, including the errant #1, lie in the same plane as the longerons. This is matched-hole construction at it's worst and I'm still looking for an answer. Any thoughts? Shims? What does the geometry change do to the clearance between the turtle deck and it's formers? I read talk of people useing shims between the turtle-deck skin and formers. Is this due to the misplacement of the vertical's holes?

My list grows every time I pick up a machined angle component, as the laser people and the CNC people seem to have two different sets of plans. Don't get me started on the splice plates.

Anyway, I regret not having joined this club earlier as I would have been willing to kill a Hobo (not one of ours, of course, as they are the only people who will still listen to my build stories) to have Mr. Roth to talk to about my project. Or anyone else for that matter who happens to find themselves on Big Pine Key. Give me a call if you get in the area. 305-515-0263 home 305-394-7789 cell . I'ld offer a room for the night.............but the spare bedroom is full of airplane parts!

Thanks for listening all. This is Randy signing off from Area 51%.
Area 51%

Return to Introductions