N77NX in new hands

Re: N77NX in new hands

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Congrats on the new ride! Looks like you're having fun 8-)

I'm curious how you think the flight qualities of the Onex compare to the RV-6? I have plenty of RV-8 and RV-3 time, with a little RV-6/-7 thrown in. My expectation is that the Onex is going to be about like the RV-3 but with half the power. Of course that's still a good thing :-)

I do plan to go up to Sonex for their transition training, but mostly because it's been a while since I've flown much.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:28 pm

Tweedy Bird sure is a cutie! Looks so tiny on the ramp next to the spam cans. That's not a bad thing.
Interesting your comments about transition and control feel. I managed right seat time (about 4.5 hrs) a year before my first flight in my Waiex.
My biggest concern was the possibility of PIO's during landing. As it turns out my very first landing in 121YX will remain one of my best. Almost couldn't feel the tires begin to turn. Possibly because I was so focused on the nuances of the plane and the feel of the controls as I came down final.
Like you, I am a glider pilot and in my case it took me a few goes to break the habit of flairing. Most gliders are flown to the ground do to their length and short gear as you well know?
By putting the bottom of the windshield on the far end of the runway, I did a perfect three point. As time has passed my more normal landing is a slight tail low, tailwheel touch and then mains come on. Done correctly is soft as a feather. Done poorly, its more of a belly flop. I try to avoid the belly flops to minimize the razzing from the cheap seats. "Oh, you were still able to taxi after that"?
I would love to try a Onex someday. If I can squeeze in. Man, its time for a good diet right after I finish this cheesecake.

Larry
Waiex121YX, Camit here and going in starting this weekend.
LarryEWaiex121

Postby Kalibr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Thank you!

I don't think I qualify to compare the Onex to RV-6. I only had about 5 hrs in the RV.
Based on that very limited experience, the Onex is much easier to handle on the ground due to direct steering, which is very effective. The RV-6 had 180 hp, so it had much much more power. Onex's climb rate is anemic compared to RV-6, and that I think was the biggest difference. I think the RV's climb rate was easily twice as fast as that of Onex. As far as top cruise/top speed in level flight is concerned, Onex is slower, but percentage wise, it is only about 15-20% slower than the RV-6. In flight, Onex seemed to me as responsive as the RV. Onex landed a little slower.
I'd think Onex would be less than half as expensive to operate/maintain as an RV-6, probably much less than half. Less than half the fuel, less than half the oil, a fraction of cost of engine parts to repair/replace, less hanger cost (if shared), etc. And for me, an RV-6 in similar condition would be more than twice the price to buy. For the time being, the Onex covers 90%+ of my flying needs/wants. The RV-6 would've covered 92%+, but at a much higher cost. With Onex, I'd think I'd fly more.
Interestingly, I was actually looking to buy an RV-3 or a simple RV-4. I was looking for several months, but didn't see anything remotely attractive to me. All the RV-3s that I saw where more "projects" than flying airplanes and simply didn't see a simple RV-4 in a very good condition. Those RV-4 that I saw in very good condition were more complex/heavy that I wanted (constant speed prop, big engines, lots of avionics) and more than twice the price of the Onex. I also came across a couple of Midget Mustangs, but that didn't work out either for the same reasons as RV-3s. I am now very happy that I ended up with an Onex. It is really the ideal airplane for me at the moment. As I grow as a pilot, I might decide to move on to something else in a couple of year or I might decide that the Onex is all I'd ever need. That's to be seen, but intend to enjoy the little yellow birdie in the meantime!

hope this is helpful,

Yuri
Kalibr

Postby Kalibr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Larry, the Onex is actually surprisingly spacious inside. Regarding landings, I am still very much learning. As surprising as it might sound, my best landing so far was a wheel landing... I came in a little fast and just flew onto the runway -- it handled very predictably and gently. I had to "wheel land" the Blanik, which I flew in my glider training due to the notoriously weak tail wheel, which was also kind of fun and a new experience for me. On the other hand, the instructors in both Citabria and the RV-6 were set on teaching to land 3-point in all circumstances. So, perhaps, it might be worth for you to try wheel landing as well. I'll be open minded in exploring what works for me the best.
Kalibr

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Yuri,

That sounded like a pretty good write up to me, and it's along the lines of how I expect the Onex to fly. After the RVs, I really wanted a simple, inexpensive plane, but there just wasn't anything at the time that I liked. After a number of years away from aviation, I was really happy to find the Onex. It's as close to what I've been looking for as I'm likely to find.

Enjoy you're new plane,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Previous

Return to Introductions