New guy from California

New guy from California

Postby 1flyingyogi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a brand new pilot - just passed my check-ride on Sunday!! I started flying lessons about 8 years ago, but because of lack of time/ money, had to quit after 6 hours in a Cessna. I started up in July of this year again flying the Sling LSA and it's been a blast.

I've been flying R/C (mostly giant scale aerobatics - both 3D and IMAC) for almost 10 years and have loved anything that flies since I was a kid. I'm super excited now to finally be a "real" pilot!

If there's anyone here who's in Southern California, it'd be great to meet up and talk Sonex and aviation in general. I have LOTS to learn, but am very enthusiastic and excited about doing it.

Brian
1flyingyogi

Re: New guy from California

Postby Rynoth » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:44 pm

Welcome Brian! Congrats on passing your checkride! Where in Southern Cal are you located?
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby 1flyingyogi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Rynoth wrote:Welcome Brian! Congrats on passing your checkride! Where in Southern Cal are you located?

I'm in the LA area. Specifically, I live about 5 minutes from KLGB (Long Beach) and trained out of KTOA (Torrance).
1flyingyogi

Postby 1flyingyogi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Rynoth wrote:Welcome Brian! Congrats on passing your checkride! Where in Southern Cal are you located?

Thanks Ryoth. I see from your signature that you fly with the Turbo Aerovee. How do you like it? I hear it performs better than the Jabiru 3300 "at altitude". But exactly what altitude does the turbo begin to be better than the Jabiru. What are the major pluses and minuses of each engine choice? Sorry for all the questions right up front. LOL.
1flyingyogi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Hey Brian! Welcome to the forums and congrats on the checkride! If you are thinking of building or buying a Sonex you have found the right spot online. The Sonex factory website also lets you search for builders in your area- check it out.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:55 pm

1flyingyogi wrote:

Thanks Ryoth. I see from your signature that you fly with the Turbo Aerovee. How do you like it? I hear it performs better than the Jabiru 3300 "at altitude". But exactly what altitude does the turbo begin to be better than the Jabiru. What are the major pluses and minuses of each engine choice? Sorry for all the questions right up front. LOL.

I haven't actually flown my Turbo Aerovee yet (but getting darned close!), I'm sure others here can chime in on + and - of engine choices.
Ryan Roth
Rynoth

Postby 1flyingyogi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:56 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Hey Brian! Welcome to the forums and congrats on the checkride! If you are thinking of building or buying a Sonex you have found the right spot online. The Sonex factory website also lets you search for builders in your area- check it out.

Thanks Bryan! I've browsed Sonex's website, but didn't realize they had a listing of builders in my area until you mentioned it in your post. That's a great resource to have!

I didn't want to admit it up front (seeing that this is a "builders forum"), but at this point I don't have a desire (no time!) to build and am just looking to buy a used Sonex. However, I would like to learn as much as I can about the aircraft and be knowledgeable enough to maintain it myself and do simple installations/ projects on it as needed. Hope I don't get a lot of heat for admitting this. LOL.
1flyingyogi

Postby Rynoth » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Don't be shy at all Brian, there are plenty of post-build/second hand owners on this site, and lots of information already posted and even more available from the members of the site. You've come to the right place for info on the Sonex!
Ryan Roth
Rynoth

Postby 1flyingyogi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Rynoth wrote:Don't be shy at all Brian, there are plenty of post-build/second hand owners on this site, and lots of information already posted and even more available from the members of the site. You've come to the right place for info on the Sonex!

That's good to know. Thanks. I thought I would get a lot of heat for not being a builder. LOL.

That's a great Youtube video you have by the way! Very cool time-lapse of your build. Reminds me a little of building RC (and some of my planes are quite big - about 10ft wingspan, 35% scale), but of course a project like this is WAY more involved and requires way more skill than what I'd be comfortable with. =)

What made you decide on the turbo vs. the Jabiru? I'm sure cost was a big factor, but anything else? If cost were the same for both engines, do you think you would have gone with the Jabiru? The more I look at it, the more impressed I am by it's specs.

Great to be on the forum!
1flyingyogi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:47 pm

+1 for what Ryan said. We have a bunch of Sonex recyclers here. It is actually a smart way to go if you are careful. I like to build. We are all still brothers.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to Introductions