New guy from California

Re: New guy from California

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:45 pm

I haven't flown yet but I am most of the way along building both my Corvair powerplant and my Waiex airframe. Look at William Wynne's website http://www.flycorvair.com/ for specific information on the motor and the installation. In my opinion it is very well supported from his organization.

Just another data point.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:17 pm

Just for the record, I do not have anything against the Corvair. Just about everyone who has one seems to love it.

One other point I would like to make on engine choice. If you enjoy tinkering with engines, go with an engine you assemble yourself. If you enjoy flying and do not want to spend a lot of time tinkering with an engine go with a factory made engine.

There is not necessarily a lot of tinkering on an Aerovee. Most of the adjustments concern the following:

- Ensuring tight cooling air baffles are installed (this will apply to all engines)
- Ensuring the fuel lines are well insulated and properly routed (this seems to take some builders some trial and error to get right)
- Adjusting the mixture needle on the AeroInjector (once you get it set you may or may not only need to make minor seasonal adjustments)
- Adjusting the ignition timing (once you get it set properly you should not have to do it again)
- Adjust the valves every 50 hours (after break in valve adjustments which are made more frequently)

Please check out the youtube videos and listen to the pilots on this forum to see how different Sonex pilots are using their aircraft to help you choose the engine that best meets your desired mission.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:51 am

Do not overlook the CAE (CAMit Aero Engine) it is a drop in for the Jabiru and all improvements have been focused on reliability. After problems with my Jabiru, and complete lack of factory support to dealer on my problem, I switched to CAMit since I fly from a hilltop airport surrounded by forests which is not a good place to loose engine, especially on takeoff.

Proper care in installation and operation is required on all engines, none are idiot proof and any engine can fail, but we can move the odds in our favor.

David A. Sonex TD, CAE 3300.
DCASonex

Postby 1flyingyogi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the good suggestions, guys. I have another question. What insurance is everyone using? I got a quote from AOPA for $1,700!! By comparison, a policy for the RV6 is only $600. Both liability only. I guess the insurance industry views the Sonex as a much bigger risk than the RV. But I'm sure there's companies that will give me a much more reasonable rate, right? Please let me know which companies you guys are using.
1flyingyogi

Previous

Return to Introductions