Hang gliders to sailboats and back

Hang gliders to sailboats and back

Postby deckofficer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Started my flying with hang gliders back in the late 70's. Then shifted transport modes and went sailing on my old Cal 40. Upon the end of my cruising went back to school and graduated California Maritime Academy to go back to sea as a profession. Now retired I've been contemplating flying again but only have about 15 hours solo as a student back during my hang gliding days. My plan was for just a Sport Pilot license so that I never have to worry as I get older about passing my medical. I can accept most of the restrictions of that license, but altitude, max speed, and limited to lower 48 and the Bahamas is just too restrictive. I like the idea a Glider license with self launch would negate most all of the Sport Pilot limitations, but the long wing span makes finding a hangar a problem. Seems the Xenos just might be the answer, short tips for solo flying and ease of hangar insertion, longer tips to be able to take a passenger on PP glider with self launch license.

One question I can answer myself, and that is over the decades of my travels, I am most centered and happy with noiseless propulsion, either with a vertical "wing" on my sailboat or the horizontal wing of my old hang gliders. I know the Xenos is far from being a high performance motor glider like a Stemme S10, but at 1/10 the price sure has my attention.

Does this make sense to the seasoned Sonex pilots here? Are there any Xenos pilots that would like to share their experiences?

Bob

USHGA
NCHGA
USCG Unlimited Tonnage
deckofficer

Re: Hang gliders to sailboats and back

Postby mike.smith » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:11 am

You might try changing the subject line if you want some input on the Xenos. Proportionately there are not that many out there, so you need to grab their attention.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:37 am

Bob,
I am not a Xenos guy but am a glider pilot. I never got a self launch endorsement or even flew a motorglider. They are cool though. Knew a guy in FL where I used to rent a 1-26 that had a Stemme. Shared a few thermals with him. Also at Harris Hill where I both towed and flew we had a member with a Lambada. It was awesome.

If you are concerned with speed, a Xenos would not be any faster than a Waiex or Sonex. I don't think the other motorgliders I mentioned are super fast either. A Xenos would not check your "speed box."

Regarding traveling out of the country - how much if your flying would that be? Would you rather have nothing, but not have that lower 48 limitation, or have a Xenos or Sonex and go fly? The factory calls this the Sonex Reality Check. I think they are smart. I would much rather have a P-51 (even just an A model) than the Waiex. The P-51 fails the reality check though! My kid and I can build the Waiex, and I can afford it.

If you are into the motorglider thing as a way to soar without the overhead of the glider club, go for it! I think it is a neat machine. For me, I would prefer an old Schweizer and a Waiex.

Welcome to the forums!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby deckofficer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks Byran and Mike for your input. Here is my mission, as much freedom and privileges without a medical. I think a Glider License with self launch endorsement offers much more on a "no medical" license. The drawbacks are having to remove the wing tips to get into a hangar and limited back country flying/camping.
Bob

USHGA
NCHGA
USCG Unlimited Tonnage
deckofficer

Return to Introductions