Hello from Dallas, TX

Hello from Dallas, TX

Postby TheGMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a Sonex newbie but I've been a fan of John Monnett designs since I fell in love with the Moni many years ago (I still have the info packet in my library) So, I ordered a Waiex tail kit last fall to beat the price increase (there is another one coming up :( ). I figured I could put that together to see if I could could actually build something out of metal (I've been building things out of wood most of my life) and if I would enjoy it.
Since then, I've been (slowly) acquiring tools and setting up my workspace before beginning to build and occupying my time reading every post on the forum. I did the EAA metal workshop recently and had a blast. So, if y'all don't mind, I have a couple of more questions to answer before I feel comfortable jumping whole hog into this project.
#1. I have not yet seen a Sonex / Waiex in real life. So if any builder/owners in the Dallas area could indulge me and let me come look at yours I would be much obliged.
#2. It has been agonizing trying to pick out an air compressor for my workshop. There are just too many choices in size and capacity :o and I am limited by my old house with its old electrical system. Sonex says "Compressor / Small" but I would like some feedback on what y'all have and what is adequate in real life for building a Waiex without wishing you had a bigger one.
Thank you for your input and hope to see y'all around.
Gary R
Dallas Area
TheGMan

Re: Hello from Dallas, TX

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Gary,
I have a 2HP, 220 volt sears compressor (an old one) with a 20 gallon tank. It is a great size for building airplanes and any household task.

Good luck and good choice with the Waiex!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby SonexN76ET » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:53 pm

I agree with Bryan. Any halfway decent compressor, even used will work fine. I got a 110 Volt Husky compressor from Home Depot with 20 gallon tank. I ran rivet gun, drill, and even HVLP automotive spray gun. You don't need much in terms of fancy tools!

Have fun building!

Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Check out ebay item 171276849914. Is that close to you?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Hello from Dallas, TX

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I bought mine on sale at Harbor Freight and it is a 20 gallon model. I have built my entire Sonex with it. No problems and it has been just the right size.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby mike.smith » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:19 pm

TheGMan wrote:#2. It has been agonizing trying to pick out an air compressor for my workshop. There are just too many choices in size and capacity :o and I am limited by my old house with its old electrical system. Sonex says "Compressor / Small" but I would like some feedback on what y'all have and what is adequate in real life for building a Waiex without wishing you had a bigger one.

I started off building with an air driven drill, but quickly found it noisy and unnecessary. I built the entire airplane with a $100 Hitachi variable speed cordless drill. All other drilling was with a $100 Ryobi drill press. I only used the compressor for pulling rivets (and you definitely want one for that!). If you are not going to use it to spray paint, get and oiled compressor. Less noisy and smoother than an oil-less compressor. I got the biggest tank I could afford. That keeps the thing from constantly running the compressor, as even an oiled compressor is noisy when it's running.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Waiex 176 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:43 am

Hi Gary
I live in Gainesville, an hour north of Dallas on I-35. I'm based at 7T0. Just 3 miles south of GLE. I built a Waiex, completed it in 2013. I would be happy to have a show and tell with you. Send me a private e-mail (jhorn@ntin.net). As for the compressor, I also used battery powered drills and a 4 gallon Campbell Hausfield compressor from Tractor Supply for my rivet puller. It worked fine for me except for painting. When I got to this point I borrowed a bigger compressor and hooked both compressors together to keep up with the spray gun.
John N176WS - Aerovee (soon to be turbo charged) Waiex
Waiex 176

Postby DCASonex » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:14 am

Not anywhere close to Dallas, but as to air compressor: First question is what air tools will you want to use. Found cheap air drill a poor performer, but a compact Sioux 3,600 RPM was great. If using battery operated drill, Keep it small, light and high RPM. Heavy tools cause fatigue which results in errors and it will need to get into small spaces, Quick change Lithium Ion batteries are a must. (or two drills with built in batteries) If only air tool will be a pneumatic riveter, (and unless you want Popeye's forearms, that is a must), most any small compressor will work but would get 1 HP or better. Bigger tank means it runs less frequently. What noise level you your family and neighbors can tolerate can be an important factor in selection. Some have located compressor in remote location for noise reduction.

Invest in what you need to Enjoy the Build. Most of us will spend more time building than flying.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby TheGMan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Thank you to those who responded. It was most helpful.
In one ear, I have my brother who worked in auto repair all his life telling me I need the biggest, baddest dual stage compressor I can afford.
The other was the vague description from Sonex.
It looks like I will just need something between 10 and 25 gallons and about 1.5 to 2 horsepower, unless I want to paint with it.
I keep imagining in my head using an air drill and having it run out of air or blow a fuse half way through drilling the wing mount holes. But it sounds like a good quality, HIGH RPM cordless will fill the bill too.

Thank you to John (waiex176) for the offer to come see your Waiex. I emailed you and look forward to meeting you.

I also look forward to meeting more of you over time so we can share our enthusiasm for Sonex and airplanes in general. I have been away from the crowd too long. When I went to the EAA workshop the first thing that struck me as I walked into the hanger was how much I missed the smell (I am retired Air Force and spent 20 years in and around all 3 of our big cargo planes). So, see y'all round the airplane patch.
Gary R
Dallas Area
TheGMan

Postby Bruce593SX » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:10 pm

A regular old $75 Ryobi cordless will work great, I've drilled well over 30,000 holes in my plans built sonex with the same Ryobi cordless over almost 9 years with a few hundred left to go!
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Next

Return to Introductions