I didn't build it, but I love it.

I didn't build it, but I love it.

Postby Afsbz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 am

I have owned Sonex 104 for 3 years now and have enjoyed every minute of it. Mine is configured with conventional gear and a Jabiru 3300 with electric flaps. I was in the yahoo forum, but I just found this forum a few days ago and glad I did.
I have never built a full scale aircraft, but hope someday to have the time. I live in Waukesha, WI and fly out of Palmyra, wi (88C). Flew to Crossville last year for the gathering and hope to do the same this year. Was a great time with a wonderful bunch of people. Before the Sonex, I owned a 172, Skyboy, and an Aeronca Chief. I have found that the conventional gear is so very easy to fly compared to the Chief, where you had to be constantly on the rudder pedals all the time. Not so with the Sonex. Took a little adjustment to get use to the very responsive controls, but it seems like second nature now. I look forward to chatting with and meeting with many of you in the years ahead. Fly safe,fly often,and have fun!
Afsbz

Re: I didn't build it, but I love it.

Postby daleandee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:41 am

I certainly agree! Flying my first Sonex taught me just how good the design of this air frame is. The tri-gear Sonex is the easiest airplane to land that I have ever flown. And while I don't have a lot experience in different tail wheel aircraft, my tail wheel Sonex is not as difficult to land as the Champ I learned in.

I did go through the building experience for the Sonex I have now. It was wonderful learning that was, at times frustrating, but the end result is very much worth it. I have the desire now to build again but the means and the money ain't quite there yet.

Hope to see all at Crossville this year!

Dale Williams
N319WF
68.5 Hours
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome to the forums! Glad you found us. If you ever make it all the way down to C77 let me know. Would love to see your airplane and show off our project.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Hey Bryan,

I guess I always knew you had it going on over there but until you posted that photo I never realized how blessed you are! ;)

Looks like a great community to live and fly from. I've really enjoyed your "Cruising the neighborhood" series of posts:

http://sonexbuilders.net/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Cruising+the+neighborhood

Keep up the good work sir!

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks Dale! I just wish I was flying more. Haven't flown since last November! Though I enjoy the build I do look forward to the flying. It is a great neighborhood and some cool airplanes here as well. About 450 aircraft are based here, including one Sonex. There is also a small army of golf carts cruising the neighborhood, but only two 2-stroke Harleys. The other one is nicer, but his airplanes are all flying.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Introductions