Getting Started

Getting Started

Postby Idunno » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 am

Hello All,

I just picked up a second hand Waiex tail kit a couple of weeks ago. I'm working on getting the garage organized and evaluating the work that was already completed. I've never actully seen a Sonex or Waiex in real life, and am hoping to find some at the Arilington fly in next month. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I get going on the build.

Scott
Idunno

Re: Getting Started

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:46 am

Scott,
Welcome to the fork tail devil family!
Bryan
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby aferddaberts » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Greetings from a new builder. I just received the Tail Kit last week and after buying a few hundred Clecos am beginning to commence my build. Anyone with some tips on putting these components together will be appreciated. Al Roberts
aferddaberts

Postby NWade » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:39 pm

[accidental double-post]
Last edited by NWade on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWade

Postby NWade » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Al -

Welcome, and good luck! There are tons of good "How To" and "Getting Started" posts around here, and you should try to read as many as possible. But I'll add my wisdom/opinion to the stack... :)

If you are relatively new to Kit Aircraft building, I strongly recommend you do these two things:

1) Go to an EAA SportAir workshop (take the Sheet Metal Basics course) - or go to one of the Sonex Workshops (which doesn't quite cover as broad a range of topics as the SportAir workshop; but the flipside is that you learn a ton of Sonex-specific tips and tricks).

2) Get the book "Kit Airplane Construction" by Ron Wanttaja. Its a wide-ranging book and the metal-aircraft sections provide a lot of good info about best-practices, minor issues that can cause major problems, how to read cryptic part-numbers (like bolt sizes), safety tips, and much more!

One more tip: In the beginning you will be confused or overwhelmed by the plans. That's OK! You're essentially learning a new language (a visual one) - and it takes time to get fluent/competent. Just think on things for awhile, maybe look up photos of people's build projects (mine are here - and there are lots more in the other forum sections), and ask Sonex Tech Support if you can't puzzle it out with confidence.

Welcome to the family!

--Noel
Sonex #1339
Taildragger, Center-stick, Flush-rivets, Acro-ailerons, Turbo AeroVee
Tail complete, Wings in final prep for riveting
NWade

Getting Started

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:48 pm

I'll throw in the obligatory "You should join the foundation" post.

Please join the Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation. Club membership is free, or you can become a voting member for $25 a year. We have a quarterly newsletter, builder tips and articles, and lots of photos. We partner with this forum to provide a Sonex community and avenue for new builders.

Wherever you live, there should be a Sonex regional event available to you this year to visit and see aircraft, possibly even get a ride. If nothing else, go to Crossville TN in October for the American Sonex Association (ASA) Fly-In, where you will certainly learn a lot!!

Visit http://SonexFoundation.com and check us out - there is a membership link there also.

Welcome to the forum and to the community - look forward to following your progress!!

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Gripdana » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 pm

The plans were overwhelming to me when I first got them and started looking them over. Another builder told me to take it one page at a time. That was great advise. Good luck on your project.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:56 am

NWade wrote:If you are relatively new to Kit Aircraft building, I strongly recommend you do these two things:

1) Go to an EAA SportAir workshop (take the Sheet Metal Basics course) - or go to one of the Sonex Workshops (which doesn't quite cover as broad a range of topics as the SportAir workshop; but the flipside is that you learn a ton of Sonex-specific tips and tricks).

2) Get the book "Kit Airplane Construction" by Ron Wanttaja. Its a wide-ranging book and the metal-aircraft sections provide a lot of good info about best-practices, minor issues that can cause major problems, how to read cryptic part-numbers (like bolt sizes), safety tips, and much more!

I would add to this two more:

3) Get all the Tony Bingelis books from EAA. At least get the two "Sportplane Builder" books if nothing else. But the two engine books by Tony are full of good info too.

4) Get a copy of FAA Advisory Circular AC 42.13. This is still available in print from some outlets, and is also available online from the FAA website. This book is the "bible" of aircraft maintenance, or at least is considered so by the FAA, so if you do everything in accordance with AC 43.13 you should never have a problem with an FAA inspector taking issue with your work. But with that said, some things can be done differently on homebuilt aircraft and will actually be "better" than what 43.13 outlines, so a bit of good common sense is nice to have as well.

Welcome to the club!!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Return to Introductions