rivets for the stabilator tip

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

rivets for the stabilator tip

Postby gregsonex » Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:18 pm

The plans say to use CCP-44 and others have confirmed that since these are structural, Sonex doesn't want us using aluminum rivets. Did anyone have issues with play or looseness when riveting the stabilator tips? Both sides have a tiny bit of movement after installing the rivets which I may add a metal plate on the inside of the stabilator tip. Anyone else have this issue or suggestions?
gregsonex

Re: rivets for the stabilator tip

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:41 pm

That seems odd. Mine are screwed on but there should be no play.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby DCASonex » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:33 pm

For fastening into fiberglass, I used the Avtech aluminum rivets that Zenith uses. Big advantage over the Sonex rivets is that these form a bulge, then pull that bulge down to the Fiberglass to clamp the parts together. Sonex rivets expand within the material being fastened, which is exactly what you want for fastening metal, but they tend to form their bulge within the fiberglass which breaks down the fiberglass and makes a weaker joint. Use these in metal, and there will be play in the joint. NOT recommended for that even though Zenith built entire planes with them. I also used these when the head was on the Fiberglass and the bulge was on aluminum, the result distorted the aluminum much less. The aluminum rivets seem at least as strong as the fiberglass. 12 years, 500+ hours no hint of any problem with these.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Area 51% » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:43 pm

I'm with Bryan. With screws you have the option of easily removing the hinge pins at a later date. Or other handy-work under the tips.
Attachments
DSCF1622.JPG
DSCF2613.JPG
Area 51%

Return to Waiex