Trimming the windshield

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Trimming the windshield

Postby gregsonex » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:59 pm

Curious if anyone has tried using a strap or rope to tighten around the windshield to get it into place? I'm having a hard time getting the aft edges of the windshield to be flush with the longeron so I know how much I need to trim. I don't wanna force it or crack it but any suggestions? For trimming, did anyone end up doing a tapered trim to get the aft to match the windshield bow(the front part fits pretty good that's up against the FWF)?
Attachments
IMG_8953.jpeg
IMG_8966.jpeg
gregsonex

Re: Trimming the windshield

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:57 am

If you can't get it on the longerons, it may need to slide forward. Canopy and windscreen take many small trimming iterations and a lot of patience to get right. I used ratchet straps on my canopy. You can also use many strips of tape, pull down, tighten tape, and work your way back. I prefer strapping type tape for that.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:58 am

In my humble opinion....it's better to push the bow up to the windscreen rather than trim the Lexan to fit. Since you've already drilled the bow, that probably won't be an option.
Using the full width of the Lexan at the bow can eliminate the "porpoise nose" effect too.
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:17 am

Area 51% wrote:In my humble opinion....it's better to push the bow up to the windscreen rather than trim the Lexan to fit. Since you've already drilled the bow, that probably won't be an option.
Using the full width of the Lexan at the bow can eliminate the "porpoise nose" effect too.

I thought the same, but yes it's already drilled. To get a tight fit to the siderail as is, I think it needs to go forward.

Greg what Randy and I are talking about is purely an aesthetic thing. I would not worry about it.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:35 am

Also, make sure the bow is coming out of the longeron at the correct angle before you get too carried away with trimming.
The little canopy corner pieces make great protractors. .
Area 51%

Postby gregsonex » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:22 pm

Thanks for feedback. I initially just measured the bow and then cut and drilled based on the 60 degree angle per plans. I'll try what you guys mentioned.
gregsonex

Return to Waiex