Rudder Cap

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Rudder Cap

Postby Area 51% » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:27 am

My appendix rudder build has come to a halt due to the "New and Improved" (read that as "cheaper") vacuum formed rudder cap now supplied in place of the original fiberglass unit. It's an atrocity and will not be a part of this next Waiex. The only way it will make it much above ground level is during the toss into the trash bin.

The factory sent a replacement on the hopes that there can't possibly be two similar malformed examples. It wasn't any better, so I returned it to their care. A request for an original fiberglass copy has gone unanswered.

If anyone has an unused cap they can do without, or even a used one I could use as a mold, I would appreciate the call.

PM or email me bubblesinbpfl@yahoo.com

Thanks

Randy .
Area 51%

Re: Rudder Cap

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:36 am

Are they lighter? We had considered scanning ours so we could make a mold for carbon fiber parts. Weight is the enemy.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Rudder Cap

Postby Area 51% » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:15 pm

Not sure what the fiberglass cap weighs. This plastic thing comes in at 77 grams including the flashing around the base.

The problem with this plastic cap is the incomplete forming around it's mold. Either the plastic sheet wasn't hot enough during the vacuum process, or the operator got a text just when he should have turned on the vacuum pump. The print shows a 2 1/2in tall component. By the time you trim away enough material to eliminate the radius between the actual part and the base of the mold, you end up with only about 1 1/2in. Stuff 1/2in into the rudder and that leaves barely a hump showing. There's no way it will be tall enough to follow the lines of the turtledeck.

Can it be made to be functional....probably. Will it look like Mrs. Emerick's 4th grade class built the rudder.....undoubtedly. .
Area 51%

Return to Waiex