Engine mount attachment bolt tightening

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Engine mount attachment bolt tightening

Postby yx0020 » Tue May 02, 2023 8:54 am

I am having a real "nutty" issue with tightening recommended engine mount bolt/nut MS24694-S100/AN363-428 combination specified in plans. I already stripped one bolt's head by just going against the drag torque of AN363 without even tightening part. Should I loosen AN363 grip somehow or get some mechanical implement to hold bolts in place? Any tool/technique recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
yx0020

Re: Engine mount attachment bolt tightening

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 02, 2023 9:26 am

Hi yx0020,
Welcome to the forum! It's been a long time since I did those but I don't remember that problem. I think it was a #3 phillips, not a #2, so that is a good place to start. You might try securing the wrench on the nut so you can lean into the screw while tightening. There is only so far the wrench can turn before it hits something, leaving it hands free. Then two hands on the screwdriver. I'm not sure I would loosen up the nut locking feature, except for removal & replacement as required. They need to stay on!

Are you legacy building Waiex #20?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby yx0020 » Tue May 02, 2023 9:54 am

Hello. You are correct, I managed to dig out a very old Waiex kit and trying my best to put it all together. The skins are not shiny and plastic film is hard to remove from some parts but aside from that it seems to be Ok.

I ordered a couple of new nuts to make sure the old ones are not from some super tight run and will try a few different #3 phillips drivers.
Last edited by yx0020 on Tue May 02, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
yx0020

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 02, 2023 10:17 am

Where are you located? Would be cool to see a low SN completed!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 02, 2023 10:21 am

One thing I've also done if I'm having trouble with metal locknuts - a squirt of WD40 or similar. I find it makes them go on easier but I don't believe they are likely to spin off because of the WD40.

Edit: Here is what I recorded in my build thread.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&start=380
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby yx0020 » Tue May 02, 2023 10:45 am

I am in central NJ. It is not going to be the most straight and true plane out there but I fully intend to complete it nonetheless.

Your philips #3 suggestion is right on the money, thanks a lot Bryan for pointing me in the right direction. I managed to get one done without stripping it but almost dislocated my shoulder in the process. Will try WD40 on the next one if it helps avoiding bodily injuries.
yx0020

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 02, 2023 11:05 am

yx0020 wrote:I am in central NJ. It is not going to be the most straight and true plane out there but I fully intend to complete it nonetheless.

Your philips #3 suggestion is right on the money, thanks a lot Bryan for pointing me in the right direction. I managed to get one done without stripping it but almost dislocated my shoulder in the process. Will try WD40 on the next one if it helps avoiding bodily injuries.

Excellent, glad to help. Also if you are doing fitting and think you will need to take the mount off again, you can use a big stack of washers to stay out of the locking portion of the threads. Then ditch the washers when it's time to put it on for good.

You will discover that a couple of the screws need to be trimmed down where they are inside the weldment. Keep building!

Edit: One other thing I may have done was a #3 phillips bit along with a 1/4" socket and a ratchet. Gives more leverage. You could also use a drill on low speed to turn the screw, and do the final torque by hand.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Return to Waiex