Pitot in tail of Waiex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Re: Pitot in tail of Waiex

Postby Spaceman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 am

Do any of the commonly used iEFIS type glass panel systems accept inputs from an LRI so you can display the info on the screen instead of the analog gauge? I haven't really put much thought into avionics at all yet but I bought an LRI kit and put it in the left wing inspection panel and ran the tubing to the wing root way back when I built my wings.

I figured I'd decide how to use it later but if it could be integrated into a glass panel that would be pretty slick. Then again the analog gauge is a good backup if the panel fails; you could probably fly with nothing but the LRI if you're VFR...
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby Area 51% » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Do any of these LRIs offer any kind of audible output? I don't suppose it would do much good with everyone wearing noise cancelling headphones these days.
Area 51%

Postby T41pilot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Grand Rapids Technology units have an Angle of attack indicator that may help you out. They also have audio warnings that can be downloaded for the efis. A stall warning may be one of them. I purchased a GRT sport EX system but have only scratched the surface on wiring and learning all the stuff it can do. I'm still designing my panel and have a spot leftover on the right side to figure out yet. Seat heater switches and ELT indicator fit under the radio stack. Thinking about trying to get a kindle running as a second display using the GRT remote app.
Attachments
My panel.jpg
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Spaceman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Looks nice so far! Now I'm getting way off topic but where are you putting your pitch trim knob? So far that's all I have on my panel and I just copied the factory plane's location in the upper left corner of the panel.
Chris Paegelow
Spaceman

Postby T41pilot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Well it may be over the top and just another bell or whistle, but one of the rocker switches on the left side of the panel will be operating a linear actuator to be positioned under the seat pan for electric elevator trim. I have DIY indicators for flap position and elevator trim position next to the switches. I looked at hat switches for the stick but they were crazy expensive. I don't remember the price exactly but I think my rocker switches were under 10 bucks. I just didn't want the big red knob on my panel. The bargraph is a DIY indicator for fuel quantity. It will just act as a backup for the EFIS indicator. I'll use a probe for the bargraph and the EFIS can calculate quantity using fuel flow as well.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Spaceman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 pm

Oh wow that's awesome! Ok so going even further off topic, if you're putting the actuator under the seat, are you going to build in some kind of access panel in case you have to get at it later?

I want to eventually put in a simple autopilot but I haven't yet addressed how I'd ever access the aileron servo once the seat pan and floor are both riveted on. I'm not sure why they made the seat bottom so permanent on the B model compared to how the legacy seat is attached!
Chris Paegelow
Spaceman

Postby Area 51% » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:01 am

For what it's worth, seems I remember someone installed their roll servo in one of the wings out by the belcrank.
Area 51%

Postby OneTallShort » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:45 am

Area 51% wrote:Do any of these LRIs offer any kind of audible output? I don't suppose it would do much good with everyone wearing noise cancelling headphones these days.

The MGL iEFIS system will do an LRI with audio output which can be fed through the intercom into your headset. For at least the iEFIS lite which I have, you need to purchase the iEFIS Extender which adds AOA, 4 additional RS-232 Ports and analog inputs for $250

http://kb.mglavionics.com/article/AA-00 ... atics.html

I've got a drilled out rivet on my Legacy Sonex wing above the plans built Pitot-static tubes. Hasn't flown yet though...

Gregg Short
Sonex 715
OneTallShort

Postby GordonTurner » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Roll Servo in wing (picture from underneath, main spar at top of photo)
Attachments
EBACB5FB-F427-4D1D-B305-D8316435CB29.jpeg
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby racaldwell » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:09 pm

For the trim knob, I have installed a vernier that is normally used for the prop governer. I haven't flown yet but it seems to work fine in the hangar. It is located by my left thigh.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
Attachments
Vernier Pitch Trim Knob Sm.jpg
racaldwell

PreviousNext

Return to Waiex