Flap deployment muscle

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Re: Flap deployment muscle

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi achesoe, all,
Yes good post , my airspeed indicator is marked for max airspeed flap operating range. I have an arthritic left shoulder and hand. For my situation i love the electric flaps. the bottom attach point is near the forward lower longeron/ firewall corner with an additional angle bracket riveted in. Respect is used with the electric flaps vs. airspeed. A good reminder for the ‘B’ model people with standard electric flap design. Thanks for the reminder to all.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 pm

envied by the manual lever guys

Not me. I like simple, and prefer crank car windows too. I have flown many aircraft with mechanical flaps - Super Cub, Pawnee, Arrow, SGS 1-35, C140, and probably a few others I've forgotten.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Friesen5 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:45 pm

I agree with the posts that the strength of the pull is dependant on speed. If you're having problems, I suggest that you check the fit of the slots that the handle fits into. I had to file mine a bit for a looser fit. The air loads can jam the handle in the slots if they are tight.

Mervin Friesen
C-FMNX
Sonex 122
370 hours
Jab 2200
Friesen5

Postby builderflyer » Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 am

No envy of electric flaps for me either. First, if one has difficulty in deploying the manual flaps (at least partially) at speeds under 100 mph, it is time to calibrate the airspeed indicator (if you haven't already done this). You may actually be going considerably faster than 100 mph. Second, if there is difficulty in retracting the flaps on a go-around, the solution is to widen the lever slot at the back towards the outside of the aircraft so that there is room for the flap lever to twist a bit as it will do under higher loads. Without this widening, my flaps would be impossible to raise from the full down position on a go-around, not exactly a safe situation.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby peter anson » Fri May 17, 2019 8:42 pm

I rarely/never use full flap so find the manual flap lever OK. Don't know if the Sonex plans have changed but you should definitely add an intermediate stage, which is what I use normally for landing and you should definitely not make the full flap notch with that hook arrangement. The hook caused me a great deal of grief on a couple of occasions before I got rid of it.

Peter
peter anson

Postby dtwolcott » Sat May 18, 2019 7:12 pm

I agree with Peter. I used full flaps on a landing and needed to do a go around after being very close to landing. I tried to raise the flaps and the handle did not want to come out of the slot. I did learn that the aero vee did have enough power to climb out to pattern altitude with full flaps deployed. I sure don't want to do that again. I also have cut an additional slot for intermediate flaps and that is all that is needed.
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Previous

Return to Waiex