Legacy Waiex Tri Gear to Taildragger Conversion

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Legacy Waiex Tri Gear to Taildragger Conversion

Postby Flynic3 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:39 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone,

It looks like the end of next month I will finally be starting my Waiex Build project. I will be involving the Young Eagles from my Chapter and completing the project as a group build. I am extremely excited to finally get started and to get these kids involved with the build.

I will be purchasing the kit second hand and the owner believes the Kit is setup as a Tri-Gear. I would like to build the project as a Taildragger and am wondering what all would be involved in this conversion. Based on looking at the Sonex website it looks like the Tri-Gear and TailDragger versions have different Jabiru engine mounts. I know John Gilles has done this conversion as well and I was hoping that I could get some insight on what all is involved. What all would be required to complete the conversion and the associated costs etc? I did just read a similar post in the Sonex forum and am wondering if the kit comes with the Main Gear Weldments in place? If not, I would assume I can just forego this aspect of the build and build the kit as a Taildragger throughout the project. I am just trying to get the last bit of research taken care of so that I will have all my ducks in a row when the build starts. I greatly appreciate everyone’s input and assistance! This website has been a large reason why I choose to go with the Waiex for my YE build project! I will hopefully make it down to the Midwest Sonex Fly In to meet some follow Builders...

Best Regards and Blue Skies,

Nic
Flynic3

Re: Legacy Waiex Tri Gear to Taildragger Conversion

Postby wlarson861 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:20 am

Difficulty in converting to taildragger depends on far the build has progressed. If the build is early stage the main thing you will need is the gear and motor mount. If the plane was kitted as a nose wheel then the gear legs will need to be replaced or exchanged. you can probably sell the tri-gear parts to underwrite some of the cost of the new parts. On the Sonex plans it shows both versions of landing gear so you can see what parts you need.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Flynic3 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Good Afternoon Bill,

Thank you kindly for the response my friend... I greatly appreciate your help. The kit currently only has the rear Fuselage and Tail section completed. I just wanted to get an idea as to what would be needed in order to make the conversion a reality, and think you have answered that question. Based on looking at the Sonex website I figured I would need a new engine mount however was not sure if I would need new gear as well. I guess I was thinking that the same main gear was used just mounted further back on the Tri Gear models. I was kind of hoping that Sonex would be willing to swap out the Tri-Gear mount and gear for a Taildragger set... however did not know if they would allow this on a second hand purchased kit. I will probably just have to sell the mount and gear to recuperate some of the cost associated with the Taildragger Mount and Gear. I greatly appreciate your time and advice... I hope you have a wonderful remainder of your weekend!

Best Regards,

Nic
Flynic3

Postby Flynic3 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Good Afternoon,

After some digging on the Sonex Webstore it looks like I will be looking at spending a little more than $2300 for the Jabiru 3300 Standard Mount, Standard Gear and Tail spring assembly. I was also looking at the Landing Gear and Engine Configuration Sub Kits which came out to over $3950. I am curious what all is included with these sub-kits and wished the Sonex webstore gave you a better idea what all you’re receiving in those packages.
I was looking at purchasing the rest of the tail gear assemblies from Peter Anson which would be $495. I was curious if anyone knew if the Peter Anson Sonex Tail Spring Mount would work on a Waiex? I will probably pick up a set of the printed adjustable NACA air ducts from him while I am at it. I was looking into the Tracy O’brien Axles, however did not see them currently listed on his webstore. I am sure I am probably missing a few things here and there... but it looks like the total Conversion to TailDragger will cost close to $3k. Does this sound about right or should I expect to spend closer to $3500?
I am sure I will be lucky to get half that when selling the current Tri-Gear assemblies and engine mount... I was thinking maybe $1500-2k tops. Does that sound about right or less?
So, it looks like I will be coming out of pocket at least $1500-2k to build the aircraft as a Taildragger. I think based on the improved looks and sex appeal of a Taildragger is worth the extra cost!

If anyone has some other suggestions for aftermarket Gear and Brakes for the Standard gear Sonex/Waiex That would be worth looking into over stock components... I am all ears!
I was thinking about a set of the John Gilles toe brakes as well. I greatly appreciate the insight and information and look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards and Blue Skies,

Nic
Flynic3

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:57 am

hi nic,
do you have tri gear parts to sell?

or does anyone have tri gear parts to sell..?

michael

ph 707 478 7135
email
sacman42@aol.com
WaiexN143NM

Return to Waiex