Waiex ventral fin

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Waiex ventral fin

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:40 am

Hey all,
In looking through pictures and videos of our community's Waiexes, I've made an observation. Some have the ventral fin, some had it but it disappeared, some never had it. For those who have flown with and without it, any opinions on what its effectiveness is? Or any opinion is fine really.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Waiex ventral fin

Postby dbdevkc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:16 am

Huh. I never noticed that. Personally, I wouldn't consider removing it. What would be the benefit? Interested, but again just for me, I would probably discount anecdotal evidence.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby dbdevkc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am

oh, wait. You wrote ventral fin... I thought something else entirely. Yeah, I'd be interested why some remove it. I suspect it was getting mangled on turf strips. I'll definitely be installing it and see how it goes.
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby Rynoth » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am

I struggled pretty hard trying to fabricate the ventral fin and after making the same observation (many don't have it installed in photos, including some factory planes), I also decided to eliminate it. Couldn't say what effect if any it has on stability, I always assumed it was more for drag on the tailwheel.

Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Well in 650 hrs of dragging, banging it on rough taxi-ways, dragging it through the mud on soft turf strips, mine has just about reached the end of the trail.
The bend that comes in contact with "everything" has worn through about 3 inches forward of the low spot. I doubt anyone could actually tell whether it was on or off the plane. I bet even the difference in drag is not noticeable.
My feeling is, its just a part of the design and curb appeal of the Waiex design and one of those reasons I elected to build a Waiex instead of the conventional tail. I built it, it came out looking good and its about do for replacement after a number of bad choices of runways. Of course I would do it all over again because it was fun to go into those back country strips. Just should have left the wheel pants and fin home. Makes for a reason to rebuild your wheel pants also.
When time comes, I'll probably drag out the plans and head over the brake and see if I can do it all over again. Grin.

Larry
Waiex121YX, Camit 3300, Skyview
LarryEWaiex121

Postby N111YX » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:33 pm

My ventral fin was a work of art. I crafted two by myself but trashed them because I had a hard time making that shape to my minimum standards. With the help of what I consider a "master" metal worker, we made one that was beautiful. I flew it for less than a year when a "pothole" in a taxiway in Suffolk, VA crushed it. I removed it and never looked back.

I like the looks of it but with such a low ground clearance, it just seems like it would be a matter of time before it happened again. Perhaps the newer top-raked tailwheel brackets lift it up a bit(?).
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks all. I think I'll hold off on it and focus on the critical stuff I need to get it flying. I can always build it later.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby fastj22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 am

My plane doesn’t have one because I simply ran out of material to build one. Called the factory, they said no problems to fly without. Never gave it a second thought.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby dbdevkc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 am

You could put some stainless back there in the low spot. Maybe even some magnesium... and let the sparks fly when it bottoms out!! Although starting a fire at an airport wouldn't be good. :O :)
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Return to Waiex