Mixer bushings

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Mixer bushings

Postby Area 51% » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:28 pm

After waiting almost 2 months for my back-ordered mixer frame, I started the assembly process. What I discovered was the holes for the rudder input shaft bushings were different sizes. The upper bushing, after removing the powder coat from the inside of the mixer hole, was a very nice, tap it in with a wooden mallet, fit.

The lower bushing could be shaken out of the hole even with the paint still in place. After removing the powder coat (paint makes a terrible bushing), I measured the hole size versus the bushing. As you would expect, the bushing miked at slightly over 3/4in to insure a tight fit. .752 to be exact. The hole in the mixer, however, miked at .760.

Once again, I find myself burning daylight looking for a fix, rather than moving ahead with the project. What should have been a 10min. job, is now likley to cost 10 days to resolve.

Not in posession of a lathe or mill to make a custom bushing, unable to locate an oversized bushing from the normal sources, and not in the mood to confront the factory, (YET), I am stuck for an answer that will solve this dilema. No, I did not ream the mixer holes to remove the paint and induced an oversize condition. I used a razor blade. Yes, both bushings were exactly the same size with the same result. No, I do not think JB Weld is the answer.

Any and all suggestions accepted.

Counting to 10 (again) here at Area 51%
Area 51%

Re: Mixer bushings

Postby berger » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:50 am

Hi,

Of course, the right solution would be to find an oversize bushing or manufacture one on purpose. However, since the free play does seem to be limited, you might be considering squeezing the edge of the hole in the mixer frame, using a strong hydraulic press and a hard steel rod of the convenient diameter, until you get a "tap fit".

Good luck!
Sosthène BERGER

Waiex s/n W0026 – T/D – HB–YMY – Jabiru 3300 – AeroCarb – Sensenich W54SK-64G
Maiden Flight 22nd July 08
berger

Postby Area 51% » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 pm

Here's the rub..........

I just paid $300 for the mixer frame. I don't think it is too much to ask that the holes that hold the bushings are the correct size.

Here's what I think.......Nobody else in the history of Waiex has had a similar issue with their mixer frame. The fact that I had to wait 2 months for mine, seems to indicate a lack of stock at Sonex and the necessity to re-order a certain quantity from the supplier. Maybe an apprentice, someone with a grudge, or an inattentive text-messenger happened to machine this particular batch. I am absolutely confident that if there is a bad component to be had, I am the one who will receive it. Murphy has long ago booted the angel and devil from my shoulders and has taken up long term residence.

Your suggestion is taken with great consideration and appreciation. Had it been an error on my part, reducing the diameter by force is a viable and probably effective solution. I spent a good part of today trying to source an oversize bushing to no avail. That kind of specialty item is a rarity here in the Keys. Unless the factory has an answer (it's been two days and not a peep) it looks like a custom bushing at no small expense will be in order. I wish I knew the batch quantity of the mixers so I could have extras on hand. I hesitate to deform the frame at this time.

I'm also rolling the idea around in my head of knurling the bushing to expand it's diameter, but haven't yet come up with an acceptable process. If I thought for a minute that an oil impregnated bushing would accept solder, I might try to increase it's girth with lead......or even solder it in place.

Thanks again for the tip. I am discounting nothing at this time.

Randy@Area 51%
Area 51%

Postby Area 51% » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:27 am

Just in case you don't believe in Christmas Miracles..........a custom bushing of the appropriate diameter showed up in the mail last week. (It didn't come from Sonex)

To the person that came to the rescue (to soon take the place of my first-born in my "will") many many thanks. It is obvious that the "Force" is with you.

No longer wishing I was building a boat (for the time being) here @ Area 51%.
Area 51%

Postby NWade » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:50 am

I'm resurrecting this thread as I just started putting together my Sonex control-system and guess what? The tube where the control stick mounts is slightly oversized, so the bronze bushings can just drop in and spin - even with the powder-coat in place. FWIW, my control frame was probably made back in 2009 (unlike the recent Waiex experience); but apparently their supplier had some tube-stock even back then that was slightly incorrect!

Will email the factory on Monday and see what they say. I'll let folks know here if they offer up a source for oversized bushings, or suggest another solution.

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Postby Area 51% » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:12 am

My "non-standard" hole was due to an ineptly (word?) drilled hole. Tubeing that is oversized is truly inexcuseable. The result, however, is the same.

The factory suggested I use JB Weld to take up the slop. At the time, I only knew of the 5min. variety, and was unwilling to go with that "fix". It has come to my attention since then, that there may be a more structural version of the goop.

I ended up with a custom bushing from an "artist in a machine shop", and wouldn't go in any other direction, with the possible exception of knurling the bushing.
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 am

Noel,
I glued the control frame bushings in with some sort of metal epoxy. Not sure if I posted a picture or not. Ironically the OD of the bushings is small and so is the ID. My solution to that is on the last page of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=396&hilit=Stick+bushings&start=40
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:14 am

Previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2981
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby NWade » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Area 51% wrote:The factory suggested I use JB Weld to take up the slop. At the time, I only knew of the 5min. variety

Thanks for this info. I decided that since the control stick bushing won't ever see a ton of force put on it, JB Weld (the 2-part paste variety) was a decent option. I sanded out the powder coat from the tube. Then I also scuffed the outside of the bushings (to give the JB Weld some "tooth" to work with), cleaned em all up with solvent, and applied a thin layer of well-mixed JB Weld to the inside of the tube. Then I applied a thin layer around the outside of each bearing and clamped them into the tube. Several hours later, I have a fine set of tight bushings that I've been able to ream to the proper clearance for the stick assembly. Huzzah!

Thanks again,

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Return to Waiex