AD rivets on Waiex tail post

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

AD rivets on Waiex tail post

Postby Fritz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:26 am

Hi All,

Just an update on the chapter 555 Waiex build. 6 weeks into the build and we're about ready to start putting the forward fuselage on the tail cone. We've run into a little head scratching with the way Sonex did the plans but we should have it figured out before we're done ;)

We decided (after much math, debate and googeling) to go with AD rivets on the tail post. The limiting factor on the tail post appears to rivet bearing and tearout and considering the "challanges" with making room for the pulled rivets we figured it was the best way to go for us.

Image we put the shop heads on the inside on the hinge side and outside on the other.

Image we're pretty happy with how the "Y" fits.

Image ...just a glamor shot of the tail feathers ;)

Image ...the best hockey stick bender in the business (retired missile engineer from WSMR and key member of the chapter build team)
Fritz

Re: AD rivets on Waiex tail post

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:23 am

Looks good Fritz! I can never figure out how you guys can bolt up the Y fitting after. I did mine before. I count myself as a premier hockey stick bender, with 3 under my belt. Of course to get there I had to screw up some critical hockey stick holes during tail mounting!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:52 am

Looks like a reasonable solution! I did do it the way the plans show and it does work, I just had to bend the portion with the hinge out a little to make room for the tail post stack (as the plans call for.)
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Fritz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:14 pm

We were worried that bending the hinge side out a little would make the hinge and/or rudder stop plate go a little wonky. This seemed like the simplest solution, especially since we had all the rivets and tools right there.

The "plans way" obviously works well, it just takes a little more fiddling with.
Fritz

Return to Waiex