Wing mount angle spacing?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Postby Fritz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm putting the forward fuselage sides together and I have a question about the forward and aft wing mount angles.

>>>I don't have the plans in front of me so please forgive the lack of detail (part numbers etc...)<<<

The plans call for a specific distance between the forward and aft wing mount angles. It seems to me that these need to be a close tolerance fit on the spars. Should I wait until I have the wings ready to set this distance?

NOTE: this is a chapter build of an EAA "Give Flight" program so I don't have my hands on the wings yet.

Thanks for any help

Fritz
Fritz

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:05 am

HI Fritz

Assuming I understand the question, if you have a kit the forward and rear attach angles position are set by the pre drilled holes. What you do not want to do is rivet them in until the wings are rigged.

As mentioned in a separate post, if your attach angles have a pilot hole that appears to be a transfer hole for the spar channel DO NOT pilot drill those holes! I did and it ended up being a big mistake.

Hope this helps

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Wing mount angle spacing?

Postby Fritz » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:27 am

Hi Robbie,

The angles are pre-drilled but not the skins. It's a "measure, clamp and drill" sort of thing.

Thanks
Fritz
Fritz

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:07 am

Fritz,
I just carefully measured. I am not sure that the tolerance is as tight as you think. There is a note in the plans somewhere that says to not tighten the wing mount bolts to the point where you pull the angles in.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:24 am

The tolerance is small, but it's better to have too large a gap than too little (or you'll never get the spars in.) The measurement in the plans definitely has some extra room for the spars to be inserted and removed (maybe 1/16" or so.) Some people (myself included) use trailer hitch pins rather than AN6 bolts for the main wing spars, which puts no compression whatsoever on the wing attach angles.

The fore/aft position of the wing within the spar tunnel is more or less locked in place by the rear spar attachments, which is more of a close-tolerance slot with reinforcement on both sides and bolted together.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Fritz » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:38 am

Thanks Guys,

That exactly what I needed to know.

Fritz
Fritz

Return to Waiex