Newbie Alert: Sonex / Waiex and so many questions

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Re: Newbie Alert: Sonex / Waiex and so many questions

Postby radfordc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:35 am

If you pay someone to build you an airplane there is only one experimental category available....experimental-exhibition. This is how Sonex is building and selling the Sub-Sonex jets. Although their are some minor restrictions, many aircraft are flying that are registered in the exhibition category.

However, you will be able to find a good used Sonex much cheaper than paying to have one built. Amateur builders normally get paid about 2 cents an hour for their time when they sell their plane.
radfordc

Postby gcm52 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 am

I concur about buying a used experimental if you don't want to build. There are guys out there that are more builders than flyers, they build a really nice one, fly it for a bit, and then sell to start another project. Usually the labor is free, and the market price for an experimental is 80% of the total cost of all the parts in the plane. You just need someone knowledgable to do a real good prebuy. There are not many bargains in aviation, but a well built, almost new experimental is an exception.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Josh,
I would be glad to show you my build sometime. In the meantime in case you have not found my thread look here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578
Robbie's is a lot more done than mine.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby andrewp » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm

A few things:

1. The Sonex and the archer are quite different beasts with different strengths. My Sonex with a Jab is a wonderful airplane. But I wouldn't deliberately fly a lot of NVFR in it any more than I would want to fly IFR in it. For all the reasons that it is super fun to fly are all the same reasons why it is not that sort of airplane (IMHO). I have landed it in near darkness mine and it is kitted out appropriately for night inside and out... but hopefully you know what I mean. If you want to fly some RNAV approach, I want to do it in something that has a slow roll rate.
2. If you are worried about fuel burn down to the 1 gph then... well, I am worried about you, or worried for you I am not sure which. I have flown behind an aerovee and they work great, but I have a Jab in the front of mine and it gives you a lot of extra fun/options.
3. I don't run auto gas in mine, but if you are worried about price of fuel, that is always an option. A certain other larger aircraft that we might or might have stumbled into will certainly be running off autogas and that thing sucks enough gas to make you pucker. But it hauls four people around with ease in a peaceful/boring fashion. See #1.
4. Part of the fun of experimental aviation is absolutely in building it. Don't be afraid of this part.
5. No one will come out to look at your Cessna/Piper. People always want to come look at your Sonex/Waiex.

Cheers,

Sonex #618 (Matilda)
+ Cessna (Cough) that is many years older than me (Maggie)
[Where did it all go wrong]
andrewp

Postby jjbardell » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:36 am

These are all great points. I have been reading thread after thread and based on information overload, it appears the Jab3300 is a better option for me in a Sonex. I love the looks of the Waiex, but there are too many threads concerning x-wnd landings...something I live with every day on my runway.

Andew - I am not concerned about 1gph and the power definitely would be a nice to have. And, as always, running the Jab @65% vs always running the Vee @ 75% will only help the motor TBO while maintaining the same airspeed. Since I plan to enjoy the sport part of this plane, I am certain the extra power will be nice to have on tap.

I have read a lot of threads on night flying. Definitely seems to be a black/white line here. I have ~200hrs on late night flying and personally find it therapeutic. I know guys that won't fly the Archer in the dark. Others that fly it in IFR you wouldn't see me touch. Once I am confident in the transition, I will occasionally do some night VFR, but nothing like I do today.

Most of my flying is local $100 hamburger flying, doing circles at the patch. But once comfortable, I plan to do some chicago-ohio/denver/florida trips in it. My wife loves being in the air and we just don't get to vacation in the Archer. Our last trip to Cleveland cost $1,300 round trip. I remember doing that trip 8 years ago for $420. Thus my desire for autopilot and a nice EFIS.

I'd love to consider building, but the tools and jigs and such that I see in so many posts... :(...just not for me. If they had a kit that built like legos where you don't have to have a full workshop, a kit where everything was formed and ready to fit; I'd already be building. The pride to fly what you created must be thrilling. Not to mention you get to spec it out exactly how you want it.

Either way, I can't wait to find my plane!
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Newbie Alert: Sonex / Waiex and so many questions

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:40 am

There is a quick build Sonex kit that is as close to your description as is legally permissible. However you do pay extra for that. A lotta extra.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby n982sx » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi Josh,

If you can get to Pilot Pete's easily then you should stop by EAA chapter 153 meetings. We're just downstairs and have had three Sonex's completed from kits by members and one plans built Sonex under construction.

Sorry no Waiex's. We meet every second Friday of the month and always have a speaker of some sort. In March we have a speaker talking about a Prescott Pusher. A lot of active builders in our chapter.

I'd be happy to talk about Sonex's with you.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Postby aferddaberts » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:23 am

Hello Josh, I might add my two cents worth regarding flight characteristics of a V-Tail. I have a bunch of hours flying a V-tail Bonanza. The only difference is that the V tail tends to yaw back and forth, but only very slightly and is only noticeable on a very smooth day. Never gave a crosswind landing a second thought, course a Bonanza is a heavier plane. I'm in the process of building a Waiex, just love the looks of it.

AL Roberts
aferddaberts

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:05 am

aferddaberts wrote:Hello Josh, I might add my two cents worth regarding flight characteristics of a V-Tail. I have a bunch of hours flying a V-tail Bonanza. The only difference is that the V tail tends to yaw back and forth, but only very slightly and is only noticeable on a very smooth day. Never gave a crosswind landing a second thought, course a Bonanza is a heavier plane. I'm in the process of building a Waiex, just love the looks of it.

AL Roberts

the "Y" tail of the Waiex shares NO characteristics with the "V" tail of the Bonanza. There is NO "tail wagging" or undesirable yaw in the Waiex. The airplane flies identically to the "straight" tail in all respects, including crosswind handling.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby aferddaberts » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:32 am

aferddaberts wrote:Hello Josh, I might add my two cents worth regarding flight characteristics of a V-Tail. I have a bunch of hours flying a V-tail Bonanza. The only difference is that the V tail tends to yaw back and forth, but only very slightly and is only noticeable on a very smooth day. Never gave a crosswind landing a second thought, course a Bonanza is a heavier plane. I'm in the process of building a Waiex, just love the looks of it.

AL Roberts

I didn't,t mean to imply that a Waiex would YAW like a Bonanza. When I get my Waiex built I,ll be in a better position to quote it,s flying chacteristics. Vee tail vs Y tail. Beechcraft should have thought of it. Don,t sweat the small stuff, as we used to say in the Army.

Al Roberts
aferddaberts

PreviousNext

Return to Waiex