Newbie Alert: Sonex / Waiex and so many questions

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Re: Newbie Alert: Sonex / Waiex and so many questions

Postby fastj22 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:30 pm

I've been chatting with fellow Sonex standard tail pilots and did some high speed taxi tests on a buddies standard tail before his first flight. The standard tail sonex I was testing required a LOT of right rudder (Jab3300). My Waiex is much more docile. Other standard tail pilots tell me they need lots of right rudder while the tailwheel is on the ground and things get better as it flys. My Waiex, needs a bit of right, but not much. We think it might be due to the standard tail being shadowed by the fuselage during rollout, where the Y tail is out in the slipstream.
Never had the "Bonanza" wag I've heard about. In fact, it flies straight feet off in cruise and I have more than enough rudder on slips and X-wind landings.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby jjbardell » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:42 am

Sonex or Waiex, it sounds like I won't be disappointed either way.
I am down to three configuations: Waiex standard, Sonex standard or Sonex Tri.
I will still keep the tri as an option for sonex because I think it looks good. The waiex tri just doesn't ascetically appeal to me.

Bill was amazing and flew up to 3CK a few weekends ago and took me for a ride in his Sonex. A true gentleman and I can't give him enough gratitude for all he has done. Fell in love with the little bird. We had great convo about them and now I can't wait. Thanks again Bill for all you have done. I can't wait to get mine and fly down to your area.

Time to just wait and hawk barnstormers for that right plane, right options and right price...I'm itching and ready to be a Sonex/Waiex owner!
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby SonexN76ET » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:10 am

Don't rule out the trigear. I love my trigear. I like the visibility when taxiing. I like that I don't have to worry about cross winds, and I like the looks. Plus, if you ever want to throw the keys to a friend to take it up (after appropriate familiarization training) you don't have to worry about their tail wheel experience. The insurance is a little lower too. Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby jjbardell » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Jake, My 1st choice is a Sonex Tri gear. There is one on barnstormers I am drooling over right now but I am 2nd in line. It is perfect for me and the build looks solid. Not to mention the skyview and autopilot. I hope the deal falls through but doubt it will.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby Sonex1542 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:49 am

When I was working on my LSA at CXP, is when I started working on my sonex. I liked the view when taxiing! Didnt have to worry about the small extras with a tail dragger. And like the landings. Mostly was learning to fly a tri-gear... And getting that endorsement is kinda a non-issue.

You need a license to fly, and the endorsement is really no biggie to add. Pick the configuration you like the most for what ever reason you have. Another great thing about this aircraft! You get to decide.
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Postby fastj22 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:20 am

I built mine a tri, due to not having any tail dragster time and friends telling me it's not if you will ground loop, but when.
Flew in that configuration for a year, never really liking the offset nose wheel on the jabiru. Found a tail dragged mount at the flymart at OSH and that winter, converted. Don't regret it. As others have said, the endorsement is trivial if you can find a plane and instructor.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby vwglenn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:33 am

I equate flying a taildragger like knowing how to drive a stick shift. Sure the automatic is convenient and easy to drive but the 5 speed is just a lot more fun and makes you a better driver.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby Area 51% » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:26 am

Don't know how it may or may not be going with your search, but I just wanted to chime in about the Y-tail.

I flew a 1953 D model (V-tail) Bonanza for 10 years. Had a 1956 G before that. In rough air, they wallowed around like a drunken sailor. Loved the planes in spite of the shortcoming. (The only one I'm aware of). Blamed the V-tail like everyone else.

Then, a friend acquired a 1965 Debonaire (straight tailed Bonanza). It was as bad, if not worse, in it's willingness to "hunt" in choppy conditions. The silver lining of the short fuselage Bonanza was, you didn't have to turn your head to check for traffic. Never flew or rode in a 36 model, so can't speak to those.

I have always liked the looks of the V/Y tailed planes, and is what prompted the purchase of the Waiex over the Sonex. It is just an ancillary benefit that the two handle the same. (so I'm told)

My two cents worth from Area 51%
Area 51%

Previous

Return to Waiex